My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, April 12, 2013

End of the week

I haven't felt like blogging much this week. Not really much to yak about. Course I've never let that stop me before. It's 8 a.m. and I opened the curtains to this view.
I don't care if they graze on that side of the road. I'd just as soon, however, that they avoid my lawn. I haven't really got any flowers planted yet but I'm thinking about it.  I found some tulip bulbs in the garage that I'm wondering if I can still stick in the dirt.  I've been trying to get in garden mode for over two weeks now and I think today's the day I just might go outside and play around.  At least with those pathethic looking pots on the back deck.

My tulips in the raised flower beds are looking okay but the ones I planted along the fence didn't fare as well.  Slugs, I imagine. I bought slug bait but then forgot to use it.  Wasn't exactly sure when I was supposed to use it.
It's actually halfway warm outside this morning so I may get  busy as soon as I finish here.  I know it will be fun once I get going. It's kind of like cleaning out dresser drawers or closets --you put it off but once you get started, it's fine.

I walked around the backyard a little bit yesterday when I was pulling the trash bin out to the alley. I need to get out my "notes" and take action on the moss.  If it was "pretty moss" I wouldn't care as much but my moss is ugly.  Over in one corner where I had a  small garden patch, I noticed the hole near the fence that I plugged up with a large rock has another hole dug nearby.  Not sure what kind of critter is coming in but I'm hoping it's not a rat. 

There isn't really that much of interest in this little corner. A small droopy rhubarb plant that I may transplant somewhere else 'cause I do like rhubarb; a small rose bush that needs fertilizer in the worst way; a half dozen strawberry plants (not sure why I even bother) and then the bird feeders. I only have three up now as I need to clean the others. I'd really like to get them all situated in another corner of the yard but I'm not sure I have the strength to get the stake in the ground. It's like cement where I want to put them.  The corner where they're at now is soft and moist.  Which is why I was able to take a photo of this......  Yep!  A toadstool or mushroom. Whatever it's called. Tall one too.
I had a dentist appt yesterday and I usually cope while sitting there by rearranging every room in my house.  It was only 45 mintues (2 fillings) but I was tense and uncomfortable the entire time.  And my mouth is sore today.  Cost me over $700 for those two appts. First one was an exam, x-rays, and cleaning.  He says I need a crown too.  Another $1200. I'm putting that off for a while.  Seems like such a waste of money. Spending that kind of dough on my teeth at my age.  It's not like my teeth are even worth looking at!  And yes, I'm well aware of the fact you need teeth for eating and good health.

I wonder how much dental insurance runs people these days. I'm betting it's not cheap. I figure I'm just as well off not having it since I put off going to the dentist as long as I can.

Anyhow, I came home and rearranged a few things here and there. Started on the front porch when I noticed the wind had blown down a hanging decoration from the back deck.  Now I've got most of my doodads in the front.
My porch rocks are looking kind of faded and in need of a fresh coat of paint so maybe I'll play around with those this weekend.
I decided to move a couple of bookcases and change where I sit at the computer.  I think I like this better although knowing me, I'll probably put my desk in front of the window again. I need to keep an eye on what passes by my window.  Ha!

I was reminded when I had to remove all the books from the shelves just how many books I have that I still need to read.  Like most of 'em!  I like having books around. Always have. You'd think I'd read more than I do.  I did take a couple to put by my bed -- even though the one I chose is one I'm sure I read back in the 70's.  The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. I also have The Hollow Hills.  I don't remember one single thing about them but I do remember I liked them.

The dryer just turned off so I guess I'd better retrieve the whites and get them folded and put away. Looking kind of gray outside but the wind's not blowing and it's warm enough so I'll work with a rainhat if I need to. 

The sooner I get those pots done, the sooner I can get back to ancestry.com.  I'm still looking for cousins and I was successful this week. Connected with a couple in North Carolina and they're going to send me pictures of their grandfather who I've been researching off and on for weeks.

My grandpa's sister, Georgianna, married Jake Stark and they ran hotels in Oregon.  They had four kids (one set of twins --a boy and girl) and this boy and girl are the ones I was working on.  Inez, who I wrote about on my Town Kid blog, was a teacher in Seattle.  Her brother, John, had restaurants in Oakland, CA.  John, in turn, named his son, John. This guy married Jean Robinson in Seattle and I'm still working on what he did for a living. He's the father of the N.C. people.  I know. Could I bore you even more?  Ha Ha  But it's interesting to me.

I looked over various programs online where you can fill in family tree forms but I found them too slow and burdensome to navigate. I think I'm going to make my own system and just write about the various relatives giving them their own file page.

Looking forward to settling in to watch golf this weekend. I still find it kind of funny that I'm interested.  I don't like Tiger Woods, though. He'll probably win but I'm hoping somebody beats him.
And tonight at 8 is Doc Martin on PBS. One of my favorite shows along with Call the Midwife.

Watched Southland last night and I can hardly wait for the finale next Wednesday.  Made me TENSE!

Okay. Time to get to work.



No comments:

Post a Comment