My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Saturday Morning in April

It's 7:45 a.m. and I've been up for an hour and a half already.  Dishes are soaking in the sink (just couldn't get  in the mood last night to clean the kitchen) and now I'm sitting here at the kitchen table looking out the window and wondering how long before the rains arrive.  It sure got nice outside yesterday.  I finally gave in and decided to go out and start weeding a bit.  Figured if I went slow and didn't try to do too much, I'd be fine.  And I was -- sorta.   I have a couple of shower stools that have become my garden stools.  One is higher than the other so the short one is a little hard to get up from -- but I've managed so far.  Sometimes I have the higher stool nearby to hold onto.

Aggravates me to be reminded of just how out of shape I am.  I never cared all that much for gardening in my younger years (bingo halls beckoned) but now I love getting out there to play in the dirt but my body is remembering the gambling days  instead and won't cooperate with the bending and stooping involved.  I'm glad I can't video myself because I realize my movements about the yard are pretty indicative of an old lady!   I have to hold onto something to go up and down steps and I have to pay attention to how and where I'm stepping.  I want the spring back in my step but I suppose I'm going to have to settle for a shuffle.  Hmmm....that sounds like a Town Kid blog idea.  I'll have to think on that some more.

Anyhow, I did go into the back yard to work along the fence yesterday.   I could have made better progress had I been able to get down on all fours and really go at it but that wasn't going to happen so I grunted along with my stools and clippers, moaning whenever I had to change position.  Sigh....

I didn't get a lot done but I was determined to give myself a time limit.  As it was, my back gave up and insisted we go inside.  Disheartening to see my before and after pictures of my tulips from last year and today.
                    I did one fence section yesterday but it still doesn't look all that great.
Last year my tulips looked so pretty along the fence.  I'm guessing the slugs got 'em. (even though I used slug bait)

 My beautiful tulip beds of last year and the year before.  So nice.
This year they're all puny looking and hardly any came up at all.  I guess I'll dig up all the bulbs and plant some other flowers.  I assume my bulbs will stay good until I plant them again. Right? I had to spray my two trees again this morning as the caterpillars continue to make nests.  Little buggers!

Here's a picture I took in the alley towards the wooded area they're clearing out. The logs are really stacking up.
And here are four pictures I got in an email or saw on Facebook....



                                                             I just adore this one!

And speaking of adoring....ahhhh...here's one of the cute guys in my life right now.

And here's five pictures I took off Elaine Arey's Facebook page.  Her and Lee are in South Dakota.




I was thinking about taking in a matinee this afternoon as the previews for Noah looked interesting. After reading a couple reviews, though, I guess I'll save my money and wait for it to come out on video.
I'm going to Jenni's for Easter dinner tomorrow.  Told her I'd bring dessert but I'm already not feeling much like cooking so I guess I'll do it the modern way and go to Safeway to buy it already fixed.  I never used to but things change.

Mary ordered carpet cleaners to come on Monday morning so I've got to see if the twins will come over tomorrow afternoon to help me move some of the furniture.

Here's a picture I saw on Facebook that my niece posted for me.  My mother lives with her in Penn.   She's shorter than me. Has more hair too.  I gave in and got mine cut a couple days ago.  Going to look into finding a wig, I think.  I just know I'd be a knockout if I had some hair.  Ha!


                                                                                  at age 25 & 88                   
Well, I just made up some fresh hummingbird nectar so I think I'll fill their feeders and get my grocery shopping done early. 

Happy Birthday to Sharon Sofie!  Here we are side by side in the second row of third grade.  I'm still in touch with many of these folks.
front row: Dick Pitschka, Betty Green, Marlene Dudleston, Bobby Comas, Sharon Mustatia, Faye Radley, Dave Brown
2nd row:  Gary Henry, me, Sharon, Dorothy Headley, Sandra Tucker, Rich Addie, Bob Barber, Joe Kenney
3rd row: Joyce Cozad, Sharon Lindsey, Georgia?, Allen Bailey, Lew Morello, Dave Brooling, Harry?
4th row: Sherman(Buddy) Good, Virginia Anglin, Linda Scott, Patty Grenbemer, Clarence Potterf, (?), Linda Wilson, (?)

Wouldn't mind having the IDs of the ? people if you have a clue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment