My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, March 27, 2015

A relaxing Friday

It's 9:20 a.m. and I've been up since about 5:50.  In case you care.  Feeling rested and I never take that for granted anymore. My plans for today are to do anything I feel like doing. Ha! I love retirement!

I had to make a quick run down to the neighborhood grocery store to fill up my gas can 'cause Hunter seems to feel he's well enough to mow the grass.  I'm thrilled because the neighbors on either side of me have done their lawns and I was looking like the scruffy cousin.  Not that I really care all that much. I don't even know these neighbors.  Don't really know anyone in the entire neighborhood really.

When I moved into the senior mobile home park (Green Acres) in Sequim, I made a point of going house to house and introducing myself.  I don't feel the need this time, though.  Guess I'm too contented with my own company most of the time.  Perhaps aging has something to do with that. I was a whole lot more social when I was younger.  I thrived on company and hanging out.  I also think having kids in the house contributes to your social network.

When we lived in Kirkland, we were having parties all the time.  Every holiday and sometimes it seemed like every weekend.  That was a different period of time, though. Computers and video games hadn't hit the scene yet so we played board games, cards, went bowling, drank beer, hosted Tupperware parties, jewelry parties, toy parties, candle parties...you name it.  It was party time.  Most of us smoked too but not the funny stuff.

Anyhow, back to lawn mowing.  Hunter was able to do his other grandparent's lawn yesterday so if he feels up to it, I'll gladly pay for his services.  I wonder what the backyard is going to look like as summer approaches.  It's mighty ugly now and absolutely nothing could make it better except to plow up the entire yard and lay new sod. Even then, I doubt it would look nice. Brown ugly moss is spread everywhere.  Maybe I'll look into buying some moss killer.  Seems like I tried that last year but I can't remember now.  I'm putting it on my to-do list.

Ideally, I'd love to have Andy & Mary's lawn. Here's a shot of Jake in my back yard and a couple of him at his front and back yard.


I love the way Andy has the yard landscaped all around the entire fence line. So pretty. Maybe I'll surprise them and give this  yard a facelift when I win Hit Five.  Surely I'm going to win this year.

I saw a documentary biography on Gore Vidal a few nights ago. Fascinating.  Made me want to read his books.  I have one on my shelf but I checked another out at the library called 'Hollywood.'  If I ever get to the point where I can ready steadily without falling asleep, I'll try to read more of his stuff.  I ordered three books a couple days ago on half.com.  My intention was to order 'Still Alice' as there are a lot of reserves on it at the library. Once I read about her other books, I decided I had to have them all.  Still only spent $18 and that includes shipping.  Besides Still Alice, I ordered Left Neglected and Love Anthony. All by Lisa Genova.

Went to the doctor yesterday morning (couldn't renew b/p  pills without an office call) and as I was leaving, I noticed two guys in the parking lot "having words."  As I got in my car, their volume increased so I had to sit there with the window down so I wouldn't miss anything. Ha Ha
One guy was about my age and the other in his late 30's or early 40's.  Not sure what they were arguing about but there was also a woman standing there. (maybe the wife of one and daughter of the other?)  She had on scrubs and worked in the clinic.  They almost came to swinging at each other. The younger guy, especially, was getting louder and starting using that ole favorite -- the F word!  Neither seemed willing to give an inch and as a little shoving started, the woman tried to get between them and pull them apart.  Then two other medical women came out to assist when they saw she was crying.  The older guy finally went to his car (right next to me) but the younger one wasn't done and followed him.  They continued their back and forth and the woman finally pulled the young one back.
I decided I was on the older guy's side because I noticed his hand shaking a bit and when the younger guy started yelling things like "Even your own kids don't like you or being around you. They're all scared of you."  That wasn't fighting fair.  I'm glad it didn't go further.  It did ease my impatience about having to make an appointment just to get a prescription renewed, though.   One of my more interesting doctor visits.

On a happy note, my teeth have quit hurting since I started up on Sensodyne toothpaste again.  Course I know I'm going to have to get myself in that chair sooner or later but I can put it off for a little while longer and that pleases me.  While at the doctor's office yesterday, she decided to draw blood and check some numbers. The poor technician couldn't find a vein (they often have problems with my arms) so she called another lady to help her. She had problems too but eventually they got their blood and I got three holes and a band-aid.

Well, guess I'll get my ancestry notes in order now.  I took them all out of a three-ring binder but am finding that wasn't such a good idea so I need to take only one person or family out at a time.  Also need to take in a couple pair of pants I bought.  I wonder if I'll ever be able to buy the correct size online the first time out.  I already had to hem them up and now that I'm wearing them, I'm finding they're a tad too baggy.  Still, that's better, I suppose, than not being able to get them on at all.

Five more photos....
                                                   1st subway ride in NY - 1904
                          1st woman to go over Niagra Falls in a barrel - 1901
                                                                  1938 Baltimore slums



                                                               Union soldiers 1863

And one I saw on Facebook this morning....  I hope I can remember this one

No comments:

Post a Comment