My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Do you know this answer?

My book is for sale  in downtown Port Townsend at 829 Water. Visit the William James Bookseller shop. (It's really a cool place)

Now for my question:  Do you know what business was at this address in "the old days"? I'm thinking Red Goose Shoes but the storefronts (and businesses inside) have changed so much, I can't really tell for sure.  In my 1954 phone book, that block looked something like this:
Stan's Gas station (where that little park is now)
815 Water: Rhody Cafe
821 Water: George Gunn's Grocery Store
831 Water: Red Goose Shoe Store
837 Water: Olberg's Shoe Store
839 Water: Widell's Hardware Store

They must have changed the address numbers somewhere along the way because in my 1974 phonebook the businesses were like this:

815 Water: Cafe is gone (not sure but I remember a little second hand store right next to George's) Couldn't find a listing

821 Water:  Still George's Store. He hadn't moved up on the hill yet
825 Water: PT Dry Goods. What was in that spot before? I couldn't find a listing in the yellow pages.

831 Water: is now Family Shoe Store (I think Red Goose took over Olbergs & combined?)
835 Water: Discovery Bay Trading Co (or was this the old Olberg's Store?)
839 Water: Mr. Wreck's Ice cream replaces Widell's

There's all kinds of little shops on that block now and new numbers for them.  I think one of the doors opens up to a set of stairs where you walk up to Sirens. What was there before?  I guess I'm going to have to revisit that block (hopefully with an oldtimer like me) so I can put this mystery to bed.

Posted below is a photo of that block in the 50's and I think the early 60's. Below them are a couple I took yesterday. Click on to enlarge.


that doorway with the red flag is George Gunn's old store. The glass covered sign on the bldg. on the far right of the pic above is by a doorway that goes up to Sirens.
If you count over five windows (from the second floor), it looks like the book store is the old Red Goose Store.  What do you think?

I know.  Don't I have anything better to do with my time?  Obviously not. This is what I choose to dwell on. Ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment