My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

History stuff

Weatherman says rain today but it's looking pretty nice outside right now.  Maybe it was tomorrow rain is expected. Probably.  That's the day I'll be traveling to Port Townsend.  Whatever.

Slept with the cool mist humidifier last night as I've been waking up with terrible headaches.  I know it's allergies 'cause I'm sneezing now and then and headaches come and go.  I'm not usually bothered with headaches so when one hangs on, I notice it.  Think I heard on tv that tree pollen was heavy now.  I've also noticed my tinnitus (ringing in ears) has returned so I suppose that's all related too.

I picked the kids up and took them to high school this morning. Sammy does not like riding in cars. He was okay (sorta) until the kids got out and then he whined and cried all the way home.  Wanted to get out with Hunter and couldn't understand why he was being left behind. He's outside in the sun right now, which he couldn't be doing if he wasn't at Gramma's house.

History notes I found yesterday while researching my g.g.grandmother, Martha Bolt.......

Z.F. Watwood came to Fayette County in 1817, followed shortly by John Hall, Joseph Hall, Jeremiah Riley, Charles Tetrick and a man named Ramsey. In 1829 came Isaac Anderson, Charles Radcliff, Zachariah Blankinship, Zadock Blankinship, A Chandler, N. Nowlin, E Pierce, and Wm James. The town of Ramsey is situated on the Illinois Central Railroad, twelve and a half miles north of Vandalia. It was called after one of the early pioneers, named Ramsey. Ramsey was incorporated May 4, 1864. The first trustees were Alexander Anderson, George W. Bolt, David Williams, A Meyers and M.W. Randall. It has six dry goods and grocery stores; one drug store; one hardware store; one furniture store; two saloons, two blacksmith shops; two boot and shoe shops, one harness factory; one hotel; and the Ramsey Mills, owned and run by George W. Bolt. Ramsey is the shipping point for Hurricane, Bowling Green, and Ramsey Townships and is noted as the greatest railroad tie depot on the Illinois Central line. There are also a great many cattle and hogs shipped from this point.  After the laying out of Ramsey, the first store was built and kept by Donaldson and Bolt. The first Postmaster was Salmon Washburn. After him came M.W. Randall ,F.M. James and George W. Bolt, who is the present occupant. 

Elisha Blankinship was born in Fayette County, Illinois, September 4th, 1833. He is the seventh of a family of thirteen children, and is the son of Zadock and Sarah Jones Blankinship. Zadock B. was a native of Patrick County, VA. He moved with his family to TN where they remained but a short time; came to Illinois about 1820 and settled in Bowling Green Township, Fayette County. His father died in 1835, leaving his family in moderate circumstances. Zadock by this time had grown to manhood, and settled on 80 acres of government lands, which he paid for by hard labor, clearing it all himself. He was married to Miss Sarah Jones, daughter of Benjamin Jones. She died in 1840. Mr. Blankinship died Sept. 1862 leaving the handsome property, consisting of four hundred acres. After Sarah Jones Blankenship died, Zadock married Martha Bolt, my g.g. grandmother. The George W. Bolt  noted above was the illegitimate son of my g.g.grandmother that she brought to the marriage of her and Zadock.

 I found a history book online about Ramsey, IL where they all lived and there was a chapter about one of Elizabeth's brothers named Elias.

Elias ran a livery stable in St. Joseph.  He sold a horse to Jesse James two months before James was killed by Robert Ford in Minnesota.  Elias was called to identify James when he was killed because of Elias' mark on the horse.  Elias was able to identify him but told the authorities he had only known him by an alias, Thomas Howard.  Deciding Missouri was not where they wanted to stay, the Bolt families left to make their home in Fayette County, IL.

I was asking Hunter about high school credits needed for graduation and things have certainly changed since my day.  I told him I always tried to take easy classes but I regret it now because Latin, Spanish, and World Lit would certainly be a help in solving my crossword puzzles today. He laughed.  Said he still thought I had the right idea at the time.  He takes hard classes but he's a lot smarter than I am.

To graduate a senior needs 4 years of English, 4 of Science, 3 of Math, 2 of a foreign language, 1 of PE, half a semester of health, 1 credit for business, 1 for fine arts (music, art, woodworking, etc), and 3 of history and social studies.  Him and Maddie are both straight A students and he does especially well in math.  He doesn't like chemistry, though, and is wanting to take more shop classes next year as he's into "boy things" like welding and fixing up his truck, etc.  Hopes to get the science requirements out of the way in his junior and senior year.  

My cousin told me that welding is a darn good line of work to get into as you never hurt for a job.  Maddie wants to be a dentist.  Right now, though, she's into track and running.  And a little pole vaulting too.

Well, I've got to make a salad for our luncheon tomorrow at Ruth's house. I think I'm going to try this pea salad recipe that calls for cauliflower, cashews, green onions, and sour cream.  Mailman and UPS just brought me goodies.  I ordered a book my cousin gave his daughter for her birthday called Lost Seattle.  It looks fabulous.  Also received the Scrabble computer game and yesterday I got three pair of pants.  I've hemmed two of them and have one to go.  Was in an ordering frenzy I suspect.  I'm still waiting on a book called Foxcatcher.

Have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning before I head out to PT.  I had a couple days this week of feeling absolutely miserable but today I'm okay. Half wonder if this isn't IBS or some such thing.
Oh...and does anybody follow 'House of Cards'?  I had to rewatch some episodes to figure out what was going on in the latest season on Netflix.  How come Spanish words sometime appear below the scene?  Does that have some significance or is my tv cuckoo?

Here's some more old b/w photos that have been colorized......
                                               Charlie Chaplin meets Helen Keller
                                                                Claude Monet 1923
                                                           
                                                                  Elizabeth Taylor 1956

                                                        testing bullet proof vest 1923

No comments:

Post a Comment