My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday morning

I've got six clocks to set ahead.  And as I typed those words, I realized it was close to 9 a.m. and that's as easy a time as any to deal with this task.  Such a nuisance!  Especially when you have to relearn how to set your television time.  And now that I got up and went through the house, I discovered I actually have nine clocks that needed adjusting.  Funny the places you forget. Oh well, I'm done until October when I "fall back."

Weather is looking pretty nice out there again today.  I didn't take advantage of it yesterday 'cause my tummy (or something along those lines) started acting up again.  I thought I had a handle on this situation but alas, I suspect I've got a ways to go.  Tried having a cup of coffee this morning and I immediately didn't feel well.  Odd because other times I can drink it with no problem.  I have a follow-up appt this Thursday with the gastro guy so I'll be curious to see what he thinks.  I've been avoiding dairy but it could be I've got to go further than that.  It would help if I could pinpoint what sets it off.  When I'm feeling good, I get my hopes up that the problem has been solved but then whammo...back to the drawing board again.  Well, enough on that boring subject!

Went into Port Townsend on Friday.  Left the house around 9:30 a.m. and returned at 6:30 p.m.  As usually happens when I make a big day out of it, I was tired to the bone.  I'm driving in again this Thursday after my doctor appt. for a get together with friends at Ruth's house.  Maybe half a dozen of us from the class of '61 -- including Sharon Ryan who I haven't seen since the 60's. Should be fun and my camera is ready!

I took three apple pies into town with me Friday as I intended to visit cousins.  Was sure fun to see everyone and I wish I could have spent more time.  Always interesting to find out little details you were unaware of.  Like my cousin, Bill, who told me he was always mad at his folks 'cause they couldn't afford to get him a Letterman's sweater in high school or a class ring.  I was flabbergasted 'cause I always figured my aunt and uncle had a lot more money than my dad did.  Not according to Bill, though.  I told him I STILL am disappointed that I couldn't buy a class ring.

He also told me how he wished he had questioned our grandfather about his life when he lived with them for a while.  I was living there at the same time and I totally agreed.  So much I could have learned.  Bill said Grandpa  did tell him once about going to see Buffalo Bill Cody perform in a wild west show.  One of my favorite stories that day (and I'm surprised this was my first time learning of it) was when Bill's dad had a chance to buy all this land outside of town.  This particular piece of land was for sale for about $4500 and Bill's dad was already to jump on it but Bill's mom wouldn't let him!
Bill said:  I could be bloody rich right now.  That land was Cape George Colony."

I got to wondering about which cousins had jobs as teenagers.  I knew the sons of my Uncle George all worked after school (Arlie, Denny, Dale) but I never remembered Bill or Lee working.  Bill says he was pretty sure Lee got on at the mill for a while and said the reason he didn't work is because they only paid a dollar an hour in those days and he could make more money selling salmon under the table.  Bill's family have always been known for their ability to catch big fish ...and often!

I did a little babysitting here and there (paid peanuts) but I did get a job in a small newspaper office when I was a senior.  It also paid peanuts but I figured I was on my way to being Lois Lane.  ha ha
Some of the pictures I took....

                                             Cousin Bill (sure reminds me of his dad)
 Teresa is recovering from hip replacement. Had a hell of a time going under the knife 3 times!
 Elaine & Bill Arey relaxing at home. Almost missed them as they were out and about enjoying PT
                                Holly Blankenship and her mom, Charlotte Clark
 Charlotte has the neatest beach house EVER! She's 90 and still goes down to swim in summer.
 My sis-in -law, Lill came over to Charlotte's house too as we all wanted to see Jimmy
                These are the turtles that Lill made for Jacob.  How I wish I had her talent.
 My sister, Janie, enjoying the view from Charlotte's window. I want to live with Charlotte.
 These are Charlotte's poinsettas.  Beautiful. They obviously love the sun
 Cousin, Holly Dean, Holly B, Miranda Dean, and Miranda's friend, Amy --visiting from Lousiville
 Jimmy and Holly enjoying the sunporch.  Jim is on oxygen 24/7 so has a tough time getting around.
 Holly was such a kick in the pants. She thought I sounded like her mother and I thought she did too.
I've had fun following Holly's adventures on Facebook as she took her daughter to all the places she remembered as a kid when she lived here. Old homes, beaches, graveyards, stores, Olympic game farm, Bremerton spots, Forks (for Twilight) the ocean.

Last night as I was preparing to head to bed, I stuck my head out the backdoor to see if those "strange" lights were still up in the sky that I noticed a few nights ago.  I called my grandson to ask him to go outside and look but he thought I was nuts.  And guess what!  I think I was.  ha ha
I saw several lights (that looked like they had red & blue & white on them) and were just "sitting there."  I went to get my binoculars because with my imagination I could work them up into being drones that were spying on me.  Yeah, I'm nuts. We all know that.

Come to find out, I "think" they were stars.  Still..... seemed so close and so clear. It was a good night for star watching.  I'll have to ask my son-in-law, Andy, to investigate it for me 'cause he got a fancy wancy telescope for Christmas.  (and I'm dying to look in it)

Well, I guess that's about it for today.  Sun is warming up the back deck quickly now so I'm definitely going on a walk.  Maybe I can talk Jenni and Maddie into going with me.  Track has started up so Maddie is keen to get her exercise. She's doing cross country.  Maybe I'll shoot them over an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment