My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, July 18, 2013

House Sitting

Went over to Jenni's at 8 a.m. so I could be there when the guy came to put in her new formica countertops. She calls it "redneck formica" 'cause it looks like granite. Ha Ha This is the before and after shots. The guy works for Home Depot and was dispatched out of Auburn. He lives in Kent and is scheduled to go to Hadlock next, and then Yelm.  A plumber is coming tomorrow to install the new sink and hook up the pipes under.  I'll go sit for that too.  Sammy went nuts as I put him outside while the guys were working.

Noticed a whole lot of flags in Jenni's back yard and she said it was Hunter's "tractor course" for riding his tractor that he got running all on his own!  As long as I was there, I took some pictures of her garden area with solar lights all around it, Sammy sitting in the yard, the tall trees surrounding her house, and the front walkway with her cute lawn art.







And yeah, I know taking pictures of trees is kinda lame but I thought they were neat as I stood there and looked up.  I don't think I'd like big trees surrounding my  house. Phone reception totally sucked the whole time I was there.

Took the kids to the mall and made them pose for a picture before they left with Catie. (She's  in the middle)  I was surprised how easily she got all four kids' stuff into her trunk.  I walked through Target but didn't find anything of interest.  Thought their prices weren't all that good either.
                                             Maddie, J.D. , Catie, Hunter, Malcolm
Here's an old  photo I saw in a library book yesterday.  Taken in 1950. Cars lined up for the opening of the bridge that goes over to Indian Island.

We noticed a whole lot of old cars coming into PA  as we were heading out yesterday. Must be a car show around. I'll have to look at the paper again.

Another interesting picture I saw in a library book was this one of women who worked at a steam laundry at 603 Washington Street in PT.  I think that's  across from the Memorial Field Gate or maybe down a couple doors.
Anyhow, it caught my interest because I have an old newspaper photo that shows my mom working at a laundry about a block away in the early 50's.  Her business was on Monroe & Washington but I think it was a different place.

There's a nice breeze out today so the temperature is just right.  I'm going to pull the trash bins out to the alley before I forget and later I'll spray the horsetail weeds out front. I keep calling it horsehair. Anyhow, I read that vinegar, salt, and Dawn soap will kill the stuff so I'm going to try it out. My son-in-law, Andy, left a handy dandy sprayer here when they did the curbside area so I'm going to test it out. I have my other son-in-law stopping in after work to show me how it operates. I can't figure out how to put the liquid in.  I'm probably making it harder  than it is but nothing new there.

The more I think about Jenni's solar night lights surrounding her garden area, the more I think I might need to invest in some myself.  For some reason, half my lights aren't working now.  Do they just wear out over time?

1 comment:

  1. Joyce,

    My solar lights quit working also, had to change the batteries. yes they do have batteries.
    Hope this helps.
    Arlis

    ReplyDelete