My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, July 27, 2013

My lawn is going to kill me

Up early again this morning.  Wanted to stay up and watch America's Most Wanted in WA state last night but fatigue set in so I taped it and went to bed.  An hour later I woke up with a terrible bout of foot and toe cramps.  I dealt with it.  Two hours later...again.  Two hours after that...again.  I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on so it's back to Google today to see if I can't pinpoint what I'm doing or if there's something I can go to the health food store and buy.

I absolutely refuse to attribute it to weight or age.  I'm fat but I'm not THAT fat!  I'm old but I'm not THAT old.  I've been taking my vitamins pretty regular and I'm fairly confident I'm drinking enough water. (How can you tell?)  Bananas are a part of my diet and I wear supportive shoes with inserts most of the day. If I switch to bare feet or crocs, it's usually in early evening when I'm too hot to have heavier shoes on and I intend to sit and relax anyhow.

I looked over my diary notes and I did see a couple of notations where I was complaining about toe cramps in 2009 so at least I know this isn't an "all of a sudden" symptom.  It certainly is becoming more frequent, however, and if I don't get some relief so I can sleep, my sweet personality is going to turn.  That's a joke. We all know I'm a crab most of the time. 

The only thing I did out of the ordinary yesterday was completely wear myself out by mowing and weed eating.  I did it in stages so I could rest in between.  The last bout was at 5 pm and I suspect that was a huge mistake.  Way too warm out there, and as I struggled pushing the mower and emptying the bag, I felt myself getting warmer and warmer.  I had morbid thoughts too.  Like:  I sure hope I don't have a heart attack out here. I'd have to wait for the neighbors to spot me from their windows.

I think if I had a self-propelled mower, this whole lawn cutting business wouldn't be such a problem. I may look into that.  When I started with my weed eater, I noticed it was caked with dried grass underneath so I sat down to clean it.  Took off the reel to put on more wire and out jumped dozens of earwigs.  I HATE EARWIGS!  I thought about quitting right then and there but I was already in my "workin' clothes" so I decided to persevere.

When I threw the weedeater to the ground in alarm as the bugs came out, the shield protecting the person who is using the tool broke off. STUPID PLASTIC that everything is made out of these days!
I knew I didn't want to invest in a new tool so I thought I would see if it worked okay without it. It did.

I ended up with a full garbage can full of grass and maybe two wheelbarrows full as well.  This was amazing when I think about how the grass wasn't really growing or tall at all.  It was the dandelions and weeds taking over.  The dust was stirred up plenty as I plowed along and I knew later that night (and this morning) that I was going to suffer with a stuffed up head and annoying cough.  I should have worn a mask but I didn't want to stop and hunt for one.  Not sure I have any in the garage anyhow.

I moved my flowers on the deck all to one side, and hooked up a sprinkler so I can start watering longer than I have been.  I used my old soaker sprinkler (looks like a long green hose) and those things are dreadful to manipulate the first time out of storage.  I kept walking along on top of it trying to get it to lay flat.  Which meant I had to come in and change clothes again 'cause I basically went through the sprinkler without a bathing suit.

This morning I intend to the front lawn.  Again, the grass hasn't grown but the dandelions have. At least the area is small and flat ground. Shouldn't take me any time at all.  Then I'll set up a sprinkler to start watering that area as well.  I may make up another batch of vinegar/salt/Dawn to squirt on the horsetail weeds again. They are turning brown but I see a few new ones trying to get a foothold.

It annoys me sometimes that I had zero interest in gardening, flowers, lawns, etc. when I was younger and could have worked out there nonstop. Now that I'm slower moving and my back hurts the majority of the time, I find I have to curtail my outside chores before I'm ready to call it a day. Odd how that works.  Ironically, I always enjoyed housework and now I find little satisfaction or enjoyment in it.

Yesterday afternoon I sat down to start on a book I'm really interested in reading.  I discovered I had to reread sentences more than once because they just plain weren't sinking in.  Is that my brain cells slowly dying?  Maybe.  I prefer, however, to think it's just my attention span that has gone awry.  I used to read constantly and while I still love books and surround myself with them, I find it difficult to get through one.  I either get sleepy or I lose interest. Usually before I've even given the book a chance. 

I think our tv, computer, videos, etc. have contributed to that.  People (at least some of us) can't concentrate as well as we used to.  I find myself easily distracted but I think a lot of the time it's just because I'm tired.  Here I am....retired and able to stay in bed as long as I please and what happens?
I have to get up because my legs or feet or back hurt....or I'm having bad dreams.  I had some doozies this morning.  And they can be ever so annoying.

Well, my chores today(outside of the front lawn) include writing a letter, mopping the kitchen, and maybe running a load of laundry.  Am also playing with the idea of looking over the neat recipes I've saved from facebook and running to the grocery store to pick up what ingredients I need to make a couple of them.

I can also predict a nap at some point in time.  Maybe sooner than I thought from the way I'm yawning through this blog post today.  Guess I'll get up and get moving.  Have a nice weekend!

Oh...here's a picture that just came in from an email friend....Bill Brown, class of '62.


No comments:

Post a Comment