My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, July 28, 2013

I'm not falling down laughing!

Well, I've had better days.  Meaning yesterday.  I was so tired (from yard work I guess?) that I fell asleep in my recliner at 7:30 pm.  Got up at 9:30 and decided to go to bed.  I have a note on my pillow reminding me to move the bird feeder out front from its pole to the porch (so the deer don't clean me out during the night). The pole is in this little raised garden area surrounded with big rocks and I'm always real careful stepping in and out as I knew I could lose my footing.  Yesterday that happened.

I'm still amazed at how quickly and how HARD a person can fall.  Unfortunately, my face hit first right onto the sidewalk.  I was stunned and laid there a few seconds wondering ....can I get up? So thankful it was mostly dark and no cars were going by.  It's worse when your accident is observed and people want to rescue you.  I wobbled into the house leaving a trail of blood all the way.  Took one look at my bloody face and shirt and knew that I was in for a few days of pain.

I got a large abrasion line down the length of my stomach, a battered knee, scraped wrist, and managed to loosen my front teeth and break the tip off of one.  My nose hurt and my chin has a big bruise on it.  I bandaged myself up and put ice on the lip and crawled into bed. Never did cry, though.
At 3 a.m. I woke up and the damn lip was still bleeding so I thought perhaps I might need a stitch.

Debated with myself on whether I wanted to deal with the ER.  My past experiences there have been less than good.  I took off hoping for the best. Had the roads to myself, of course.  Not a soul in the waiting room.  This is good, I thought.  I was taken back within 5 minutes.  A doctor immediately came in and introduced himself, took a quick look at my lip and said we'd put some glue suture on it (or something like that) and I never saw him again!

The medical assistant took my blood pressure and applied some gel to numb my bottom lip. Said it would take a "couple minutes" and he'd be back.  Meanwhile, an office girl shows up with clipboard to have me sign consent forms.  An hour later I was still sitting there...and getting steamed by the minute!

If the place had been busy with patients, I might have had more patience of my own but.... I heard one guy say:  "Well, I knew it was too good to last but at least we only have two patients."  I wondered why I was being left there so long.  Did I really need a suture or not?  Was I considered just another fat lady who fell down so who cares?  Was this the normal routine--  Let them sit so they can bill for an hour of ER time? 

I was reminded of the times I took my dad to ER and we were made to sit for hours.  And more than once, the ER was not that busy.  As I sat there and listened to the banter of how their computer system was acting up, and to their stories shared of their personal life (like you do at work..I get that), I was getting so tired and was in so much discomfort, I thought...this is crazy. I can suffer in my own bed at home if this is the care I can expect.

At 4:30, I made my way for the door and the medical assistant (who was just sitting at his desk looking at his computer) says:  "Ma'am....don't you want your check out instructions?"  NO!   And I came home and went to bed.

I've thought and thought this whole situation over trying to give them the benefit of the doubt as to why I wasn't tended to and sent on my way sooner.  It certainly wasn't because they were swamped with other people.  The ER is  one of those places (at least in small towns) where the speed you're looked at depends on who you are.  My standard remark when I feel I'm being ignored is:  I wonder if the President or the Governor would sit this long.  I suspect not.

I did put a call in to my dentist this morning as my front teeth are  loose and sore and my daughter insists I have to get that chip fixed.  I told her if I was 40 or 50, I might agree but I'm almost 70, and who really cares if I have a piece of my front tooth missing?  She does...so I guess I'll spend some dough at the dentist's office soon.  Sigh.....

I've been discouraged lately that I haven't been able to curtail my eating. Perhaps this is God's way of stepping in and forcing me to get with the program.  I'm sipping coffee through a straw and soft foods are going to be on the menu for several days.  You have to look on the bright side.  If I lose even five pounds, it might be the motivation I need to keep going.

My schedule today is to sit in the recliner, read, nap, and watch videos.  Maybe do some cross stitch and crochet.  Maybe write a letter and surf the net too.  I don't really have anything on my calendar

My morning after picture...
 
One interesting thing I noticed this morning.....the dream I had after I came home from the hospital and went back to bed....It was one of those repeat dreams of not being able to find my car.  This time I was lost in the hospital and no matter what door I came out, my car wasn't there.  This took me on a long road trip down very narrow freeways and meeting several people and having several events happening as I went.
 
I ended up in Utica CA among other places and people in my dream this time were Catie, my granddaughter, Sharon, Ruth, Linda, and I forget who else.  I'm sure that means something. Ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment