My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday observations

It's been one of those days where I seem to be struggling with technology in one form or another. I decided I wanted to print my book out so I could edit it on paper looking for errors instead of depending on the computer screen. I got half of it printed and ran out of ink.  Sometimes replacing the cartridge is a struggle but I've finally mastered that task so I wasn't too worried about it.  And I was thankful I had a new cartridge on hand.

Once it was in, I discovered I couldn't get the book to print the way I had it set up the first time around.  I tried over and over again on two practice pages and was getting ready to give up when I tried one more thing.  It worked for me but I realize now that I have a lot of settings on my printer that I need to learn more about.  Same with my computer.  When you're doing a book, you have to be ready to poke around and try things over and over until you figure out what's happening. There have been times when I've been so unsuccessful at completing a task, I get desperate and start begging techy people for help.  I can be a real nuisance. 

My granddaughter, Catie, was here this weekend and she helps people on the phone with computers so I was anxious to see if she could help me with numbering the pages.  She had as much trouble as I did so I felt vindicated in a way that it wasn't just me.  We finally opted to just number the pages at the bottom in the middle.  Then she showed me how to make a table of contents a lot easier than what I had been doing.

I've always known that there are dozens and dozens of things I could be using on my computer if I knew the ins and outs a little better.  It's frustrating.

I went up to the library this morning because my hour and a half last Friday didn't save everything I wanted onto my jumpstick.  I "thought" I had it right this time and then discovered I still hadn't saved it correctly.  The third time I finally got it but when I got home I realized everything was saved in pdf and I didn't know how to access the pictures so I could play around with them. 

Thankfully, Mary is home today and was willing to let me email them over so she could do her magic. As it is, though, those old newspaper pictures don't reproduce worth a darn so I may not get anything I can use.  Was a busy day at the library.  I walked around and people watched while I browsed books and movies.  Saw half a dozen little old ladies having a committee meeting for some club.  Reminded me why I don't bother joining clubs.  The dialog was much the same as I've heard at  meetings.  Nit picking and criticizing every little detail.  You could sense a power struggle going on too.  Made me smile.

I picked up a few books on Port Angeles history and 3 dvds. Then I made three more stops and headed on home.  Got a beautiful afghan in the mail from my half sister in PA. That was a nice surprise.
 
Well, Mary was nice enough to convert the pdf newspaper pictures I scanned today at the library and sent them back to me but alas....they just didn't reproduce very well and no amount of tweaking them is going to make them better.  I'll post a couple on facebook anyhow and a couple here.... from 1954
 
 
at the top is Rosemary Ryan, a new PE teacher, Mrs. Harms, Mrs. Ondracek, and Don Barrett

 

Mrs. Nyberg, Mr.Thompson, Doris Sader, girls adviser, and George Frye

Oh....and to all those people I was bugging about my yellow/orange bag....I FOUND IT!   I had sent it home with Jenni (she forgot what was in it but we think food of some kind)  I love my memory.  I had tore my house apart from top to bottom and the garage ...and went back to places twice!  I hate it when I'm obsessive like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment