My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, July 11, 2013

What was that?!

Yesterday morning my dream woke me up.  I guess.  I heard my phone ring (I keep it by my bed) and I threw back my covers, put my feet on the floor, looked at my phone, and said out loud:  "What am I doing?  That isn't even my ring!"  (my ring is 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight')  It's not the first time my dreams have gotten audible to the point where it wakes me up.  Sometimes I think I hear people calling my name. I'll sit up and say "WHAT?"  Imagine how interesting it would be if I was on drugs.

I wanted to get up early this morning because I planned on driving downtown to take some pictures and I didn't want traffic in my way. Didn't get everything I wanted so I'm going out again tomorrow morning, only maybe a little earlier.  Like 5:45.  I checked these Clallam County history books out of the library and found the scenes fascinating.  I wanted to take a picture of how that spot looks today.
Easier to do on some than others but you can eventually get something if you put some thought into it.
Here's a few....
This is the 8th St. bridges that connect east and west P.A. I think this was taken in 1913 and is looking west going towards my house, but I'm not positive. Might be looking east.

                                                    This is looking west in 1936.
                                   This is looking east today heading towards downtown. This was one of the shots I wanted to get a better view of but traffic was interrupting me.

This is 1st & Lincoln, the main intersection of town.
                                        
 
 
 That's the museum on the left and the courthouse up on the right. The parade came down this street on the 4th of July. (Lincoln)
 
 The Masonic Hall on Lincoln Street  - then and now.  This sits across from Goodwill today.
 
 This old church still sits on 1st & Vine next to the courthouse.  I go here frequently as it's now Serenity House, a popular thrift store.
 
                                    1926 when the Pacific Fleet came through

                                              Quiet in the harbor today, though.

I spent an hour at the library looking through microfiche. I wanted to figure out how to save a picture to my jumpdrive without it being a pdf file.  I can't convert those at home.  A lady came to help me but she was having problems so she went to get a younger person. He fixed us up right away but of course, I couldn't remember everything he said so he had to come back a second time.  I felt like I'd been through the wringer when I left 'cause I was concentrating so hard on what I wanted to accomplish. 

At first I couldn't even get on their system.  My user name and password kept being rejected. A librarian came and it rejected her name as well. She figured out we were in the wrong screen to start with.    I left there and went to Pacific Office Supplies to pick up a hundred envelopes. I thought I knew which block their office was on but as I pulled into the parking lot, I realized the building was empty and they had moved a block away.

I went to Walgreens to pick up reprints and then headed to Safeway for a few grocery items.  Bought more than I intended but I was out of a lot of things.  Prices continue to amaze me.  And I don't mean in a good way!  Two ears of corn for a dollar!  I "almost" bought a bag of cherries (pre-bagged by SW) but then I realized it was three pounds and I would have paid $15.  Nope.  No cherries for me!
I've got apples and bananas (and prunes) at home so that will do me.

I checked out the third season of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' at the library.  That Larry David!  Oh my!  I was cackling out loud through a lot of it...and I don't often laugh out loud at tv these days.

I found it quite entertaining to sit in the library off in the corner.  Amazing how much traffic that place gets.  All kinds of people.  Where I was sitting, I could hear most conversations with the librarian and noticed that most folks just talk out loud all over the library.  Interesting to people watch there.  It's where the action is.

I  wish I had found time to take a nap today. I can tell I'm going to be heading off to bed long before I actually want to.  I suppose I could go get a few winks right now, although I'm not that keen on sleeping this late in the day.  Oh....decisions...decisions.....

No comments:

Post a Comment