My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Making a change

I have a daily routine of bringing up the tv schedule online to scan through and see if I can find something interesting.  Now and again, I'll tape a movie or a show (I still use VHS tapes) but more often than not, what I've taped isn't all that great.  This has been happening more and more frequently.

I also have fallen into the routine of sitting in my recliner at night with remote in hand and surfing up and down looking for something....anything.  I might stop now and again to watch but I usually click on through.  The commercial interruptions are one thing but I'm finding more and more that the people getting air time are stupid with a capital S.  Saw Tanya Harding on Channel 54 yesterday and I can't stand Tanya Harding.  I can't stand a lot of people who come over the tube these days.

I sat here and made a list of what shows I would really  miss if I decided to cancel cable.  When it came right down to it, I'd miss Wheel of Fortune and Doc Martin and some of the HGTV shows. Oh, and golf. Never thought I would miss golf! I have other shows I like too but they seem to go into repeats way too fast and next thing I know, the show is gone until next season.  What?!

I've also been dismayed that my book reading has been getting less and less.  Mainly because I find myself nodding off.  Not much I can do about that, I guess; when you need a nap, you need a nap. Still.....

I called Cable this morning and found that I can get the local channels (which would give me up to channel 22 (meaning I'd get Wheel and Doc but not golf) and I'd save myself $40 a month.  Had I been really brave, I would have eliminated all the channels but I'm not at that place yet. 

I still have Netflix streaming in and I can always go to Red Box if I want to rent a movie.  Then too, the Internet gives you a whole lot of entertainment you don't need a tv for.  I have a decent collection of movies but if you're ever discarding old VHS movies, save them for me.

I'm glad I made this decision.  I have a ton of books I want to read.  Course now I have to train myself to get off the computer quicker than I do now.  I don't play games on the computer although I used to.  Mostly I'm just surfing around looking here and there, writing emails, working on my book, researching genealogy, watching videos on YouTube, sorting pictures, and reading the news.  Internet makes me happy.

Sure is lookin' good outside my window this morning. I went for a 15-minute bike ride at 6:30. I think I could have stayed out longer but my upper arm was killing me.  Wish I knew for sure what the problem is as it's been hanging on for weeks.

My favorite picture on Facebook today....



1 comment:

  1. CONGRATS on joining the ranks of us seniors who have given up much of what is on TV for books. We can still enjoy the old sitcoms on the ME channel and our favorite game shows, and the old movies on THIS. And we are free of all that other hogwash that panders to the younger generation.

    ReplyDelete