My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Around the house

Saturday morning, 8 a.m. and the rain is coming down steadily.  Fine with me. Grass and garden and flowers will appreciate it and I can do inside stuff without feeling guilty that I should be out there exercising.

Got a comment from Arlis about my lawn probably needing more water.  I don't really think that's the case, though, as we've gotten a lot of rain this year.  Last summer I made a point of using the sprinkler A LOT on my front lawn because I had new dirt moved in and grass seed scattered.  I suspect the dirt guy gave me crummy dirt as the whole area is pretty much solid clover.

Virginia was over yesterday and noticed all the little white flowers. Said I need to kill that stuff so maybe I'll look into that.  I do get annoyed at the bees that are continual occupants  out there.  Hunter and I are still progressing with our little strip that we intend to nurse along with really good seed once we get the sod removed.  We've emptied three wheelbarrows full of weeds so far but it's slow going and hard work.
I'd probably give up if Hunter wasn't so gungho to keep going. It's really tough getting through to the dirt and I can only do about an hours' worth of toil at a time before I'm ready to collapse. I wish I had a small rototiller as it would probably make this project a whole lot easier. Still, I do need the exercise so I'll claw it up one foot at a time just so I can get some grass growing that is pretty to look at.

A neighbor down the street was having a yard sale so we hiked down there and I spent about $5.  Got a deluxe Scrabble game for a dollar that sits on a turntable and holds the tiles in place so you aren't having to rearrange them all the time.  The twins and I played a game until their squabbling got to be too much.

Hunter got on ebay and found a pirate flag he wanted so I bought it in exchange for him cutting my lawn later this month.  They're heading off to camp tomorrow so it will just be me and Sammy hanging out next week. Jen is having a few relatives over today for birthday cake. Hard to believe the twins will be 11 on Monday.

I don't have much planned for the weekend. Am kind of hoping I can finish up my Graceland jigsaw puzzle. So hard to get anything done once you sit down and try to find "just one more piece" before quitting.
Last night I watched a Netflix movie called 'Another Year.'  I really liked it.  I bought a couple VHS movies at Serenity House a few days ago.  Hard to pass up when they're only a dollar. I thought about going to a matinee at the movie house this weekend but I usually end up talking myself out of it. Too expensive plus I'd have to drive 15 or 20 minutes just to get across town. I heard the newly opened video store down on Lincoln Street by Goodwill has closed up already.
Too hard to beat the competition of Red Box and NetFlix, I suppose.

Got this interesting email from Jim Koepke today so thought I'd pass it along....

Healing Miracle for burns:


Keep in mind this treatment of burns which is included in teaching beginner fireman this method. First aid consists to spraying cold water on the affected area until the heat is reduced and stops burning the layers of skin. Then, spread egg whites on the affected area

One woman burned a large part of her hand with boiling water. In spite of the pain, she ran cold faucet water on her hand, separated 2 egg white from the yolks, beat them slightly and dipped her hand in the solution. The whites then dried and formed a protective layer.

She later learned that the egg white is a natural collagen and continued during at least one hour to apply layer upon layer of beaten egg white. By afternoon she no longer felt any pain and the next day there was hardly a trace of the burn. 10 days later, no trace was left at all and her skin had regained its normal color. The burned area was totally regenerated thanks to the collagen in the egg whites, a placenta full of vitamins.

And John McAulay sent me this video which I thought was kinda fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment