My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Is it summer yet?

I kind of knew even before opening my eyes this morning that it was cloudy outside. My bedroom takes on a certain atmosphere. I suppose because of the light green denim curtains.  I really like those curtains. I can throw them open easily and green is a good color for my bedroom.  And I don't really care what mother nature has planned for our summer. I'm fine with overcast most of the time.  I do like sun and I'm sure we'll get it sooner or later but I like rain too.  I don't like HOT weather. Never have. Never will.

It's 9 a.m. as I sit here with my second cup of coffee waiting for the twins to walk over to spend the day. Jen lets them sleep in most mornings.  Sammy is here, though.  He's curled up in his box under my sewing table.

I didn't get too much accomplished yesterday. Worked a little on my Graceland jigsaw puzzle and finished a crocheted afghan.

Today I'll probably work on the puzzle some more. It does get more fun once you're halfway there.  I may start a new counted cross stitch project as well. Either that or a new quilt.  I'll see which way my mood takes me.

Can anybody explain this to me? Above is a picture of the yard running along one side of the fence. Why is it so green in that particular area?

Hunter and I are thinking of digging up part of the back yard (just a small area) to see if we can't plant some good grass seed and cultivate an area of nice looking lawn. We thought maybe this area below right off the porch.
We're thinking maybe just a section 8X8 or so. Don't want to make it something we can't manage once we start. We'll be using a claw tool and then just raking and hoeing.  I'm hesitant to start because I'm not sure the ground will be easy to turn. I started an area underneath my bedroom window. (see picture below)
It took everything I had to dig up that VERY HARD AND TOUGH SOIL under my window.  Had I brought in fresh dirt, I probably could have planted something in that area but I opted instead to just put my pots there.  I'm hoping the grassy area by my porch will be easier to work with since it's been exposed to rain more.  Maybe me and Hunter will start that today while the ground is a little wet.  I hope he's agreeable. More fun when you have a helper.

Just received an email from Anita Lockhart seeking info for a classmate of hers, Paul Dale.   Paul's brother, Richard, would have graduated in 1958 but the family moved to CO.  Rich has passed on and Paul is trying to put together an obit write up.  Does anybody have any pictures or memories they could share about Richard?

1 comment:

  1. Joyce,
    I think the lawn it not getting enough water. You should be able to push a screw driver easily into the ground at least 4-6 inches. I would get seed, spread it, cover with mulch, then keep it at least damp at all times. When the grass grows, mow it higher than you have been. If it's tall it shades the weeds & they can't grow. We had an awful lawn here from former owner. We watered, regularily, fed & now have a lush green lawn, even in the LV area with 100+ temps. Hope this helps. Arlis

    ReplyDelete