My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dinner guests

Today my oldest daughter, Sue,and her husband, Paul, came over for dinner along with Sue's daughter, Catie.  Also dining with Paul's folks from L.A.  Evelyn & Lee Weinstein.  We had a nice visit and they brought me flowers.

I finished seeding the strip of lawn off the back porch this morning. Ended up being a lot harder than I thought it would, but then it got hot quickly and my left foot was throbbing. I did put some fencing around it and am hoping it deters the dog. I have no idea if I did it correctly but I suppose I'll find out one way or another once the grass comes up or doesn 't.



I had planned to serve dinner on the porch but it was way too hot out there so we ate in the house.  I had the umbrella up and about an hour after company left, I heard this loud woosh bang. Went outside and couldn't find my umbrella anywhere.  I walked around to the front of the house and there it was stuck on my bird feeders.  If it hadn't of caught, it probably would have sailed over into the scotch broom.  Kind of scared me really. It could have caused an accident if it went airborne and hit a car.    I usually tie it flat when not in use. Now I'm going to have to remember to always keep an eye on it.

As I waited for company to arrive, I took the lasagna out of the oven, turned on the broiler and stuck the garlic bread under the element.  Went in to sit at the computer for a minute and Catie arrived so I ran out to take a picture of her with her new car.
As we hugged hello and returned to the house, all of a sudden I remembered my garlic bread.
Yep!  Did it again. Burnt!  Catie scraped off the black crud for me so they were eatable.  Meanwhile, the smoke alarms started going off to beat the band.  Loud little buggers too!  I turned on the fans and hoped the burnt smell would go away before company came.  The neighbor asked me later what happened as she heard the alarm inside her house.  I told her it was just the old forgetful lady next door burning her dinner again.

Catie delivered the reunion DVDs that Mary burned for me but I have to play each one first to make sure it took.  I'll deliver some to PT tomorrow when I go in but the rest will have to be mailed Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hmmm...I just noticed both my hummingbird feeders are empty of nectar.  I wonder if they evaporated in the heat. Doesn't seem like the birds could go through that much that quickly.  Or maybe they did.  Will have to make some fresh juice tomorrow afternoon.

Here's a picture of me, Catie, and Sue.

Maddie stopped in for a minute so I took a quick picture of her and Catie too. I should have taken more time, though, as it didn't come out too clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment