My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, July 29, 2011

Weeding, Sewing, and hanging out

I can't figure out why I've been so worn out these past weeks.  I suppose it's because I'm old now and the body just can't take as much as it used to.  I guess.  Still...it does seem like I'm not able to do as much as I think I should be able to do.  The kids and I worked on Jenni's flower bed along the sidewalk and while it took a couple of hours, it wasn't that difficult and I did have a little stool to sit on as I weeded along.

My foot didn't bother me while working but as soon as I finished, I could tell anything else I wanted to do was going to have to be sitting down.  The foot plagued me the rest of the day. I've got my fingers crossed that I'll get it diagnosed and healed next week when I visit the podiatrist.

Maddie wanted to treat us to lunch so I let her throw $3 in the pot as we drove through Jack in the Box for burgers. We parked down on the lookout bluff and watched ships with my binoculars.  I would have gone down to the sand sculptures too but I knew walking wasn't going to be pleasant.  Irritating to not be able to do simple activities with the grandkids.

We did notice a garage sale sign in the neighborhood so we drove there.  It was a friend of Jenni's and I spent $17.50.  Got two very large sacks of thread for $2 each. I was thrilled. Also got some material, some toys, and this really neat art decoration of a junk yard. Hard to explain what it's made of.  Metal maybe?  Anyhow, Hunter and I thought it was terrific.
I sat down at the sewing machine to get started on some projects and pretty soon, Maddie was cutting out pieces of cloth to make her teddy bear a dress. Hunter was bored but since Maddie and I seemed to be enjoying ourselves, he decided he wanted to learn how to sew too. I taught him how to thread a needle but he kept eyeing my machine.


As he started sewing his material, I suspected my sewing machine was going to be a favorite toy with both of them.
"Hey! This is fun!"  he said.  "And I always thought sewing was boring."

"Maybe you'll be a tailor when you grow up?"
No, that's not in my plans.

"Well, what do you plan to do?"
I'm gonna cut lawns during college and then I'll probably be a carpenter or an engineer.

Maddie says:  "I'm gonna be a dentist.  Or maybe a dental hygienist."
Good.  We need a dentist in the family. One who will work on me for free!

I got a call from an old neighbor I had in Green Acres and she told me three of the neighbors died.  Odd that I didn't see any of their names in the obits. I'm always reading the obits.

Well, I'm halfway packed for our Great Wolf Water Park outing tomorrow. I'll finish up in the morning.  My ear tinnitis is running its usual after supper hum.  I'm going to have to do some more research on that ailment.  I wonder if eating is tied in somehow.  Or yawning.  I've been doing that a lot too.

Will write more next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment