My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, August 6, 2011

1st Saturday of August

Got up this morning and when I clicked on Facebook to see who might have posted something, I noticed that my grandson broke his arm at the skating rink last night. Will be in a cast for six weeks. That's a hard pill to swallow for an 11--year-old who is very active and never idle.  Poor kid. I wonder if he'll have to pass on the carnival rides at the fair in two weeks. Maybe.
His twin sister, Maddie, is such a sweetie pie. She's waiting on him and doing extra little favors.  She did mention at one point, however, that the more she did, the more he requested. Ha!

Our yard sale yesterday was kind of a flop but then we didn't advertise except with lame signs around the neighborhood. Signs that needed to have the address a lot larger but oh well....  I went around this morning and hung up four signs again and thought perhaps we'd pick up stragglers hitting other sales.  And while we did get a little more business, it was a whole lot more work for me than I wanted.

My foot continued to ache the more I was up and about and it didn't take any time at all for me to reach my "can't do no more" point.  I think I'm getting too old for yard sales. Not to attend them but to have them.  Especially when you have to pretty much set up and take down by yourself.  Maddie helped quite a bit and I probably could have managed if I'd been a little stronger health-wise.

We got everything bagged up and put back in corners here and there, and I moved tables and such back to the house.  There's actually a whole lot more work involved than you'd think.  I told the twins we could try to have another sale in two weeks when the fair is on as we'd probably get more business then. (The fair is in our neighborhood)  After thinking it over, though, I'm gonna pass on having another sale.  Just too hard on this old lady.  I'll help somebody else put one on. 

I didn't actually have that much to sell anyhow.  The kids made around $20 a piece. I'll probably take my things to Serenity House. I do have this computer desk I'd like to get rid of, however.
I think I bought it at Habitat for Humanity for $20 or $25.  I'll sell it for $15.  It's got two shelves I took off to make it easier to get down the steps, and the computer keyboard can be pushed in or pulled out.  The desk is on wheels and it's a nice size if you don't want something really large.
My Netflix movie last night was Hal Holbrook in 'That Evening Sun.' I liked it.  I'm playing with the idea of going to a matinee tomorrow. Would really like to see that Apes flick and it's showing now.

Well, gotta go wrap up some chicken pieces for the freezer that I bought at Safeway this afternoon.  I might bake a cake too.  Depends on my energy level.

Here's an interesting mix.... one guys list of the top 15 best songs of the 50's:




And here's a song about me and a lot of my girl freinds....Single Ladies.   And I dance just like this too!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I guess I'm not the only grandmother who has to go to facebook to find out what is happening in her grandchild's life. Remember the good old days when people actually used to use the telelphone to keep in touch. What a world, what a world, what a world we live in today!1!!!!!

    ReplyDelete