My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sunny summer day

I wonder if I need to make a chiropractor appt.  I decided to do a little yard work this morning and it didn't take long before I was stumbling around like someone who is 87 years old.  I made a point of taking things easy and not overextending myself.  I needed to move some pots from the front yard to the back, pull some weeds, water, and vacuum out the car. 

I moved the pots one at a time using the wheelbarrow and I felt all the little chores I was attending to were minor.  I told Maddie I would walk halfway to her house to meet her this morning as she doesn't like going through the woods.  Hunter and I put Sammy on a leash and I may have walked a whole block or two.  I even used two walking sticks. I barely made it home and was walking so slow, you'd swear I had just got out of the hospital or something.

Since my neck and upper arms hurt along with my legs, low back, and hips, I figure I either need an adjustment or the sciatica is screwing me up.  I KNOW I didn't do THAT much to cause this more discomfort.  It's really starting to irritate me as I have a lot more on my list that needs tending to!  I took three iboprofen and they didn't seem to have any effect.

As I made a quick grocery list, I managed  to come up with more things I needed than I thought so I decided to make a Walmart run.  Not a good idea when my body is in rebellion mode.  We stopped at the bank so the kids could get money, stopped at the bread store, and then made our way to WM. 

I told the kids I was thinking of riding around in one of those motorized carts because it was hurting to walk today.  Hunter said:  "Please don't."  I guess he thought having a granny in a riding cart was too embarrassing.  So I walked.  When we got to checkout, my cart was high with purchases. (I'd bought three things not on my list)  As usual, there were too few checkers and every line seemed to be people like me with lots to buy.

One clerk (captain of the day I guess) would walk up and down waiting for the checkers to need her.  The woman behind me wanted a pack of cigarettes only and the "captain" told her Line 16 was the ONLY line she could buy them in.  (This is where I was and I was already behind two people with a ton of purchases)  The captain said "Sorry about that," and the smoker said "oh, that's alright."  And Joyce said:  "No.  That isn't alright.  Where's the customer service in this store anyway?"

That comment bonded me and the smoker, of course, and we proceeded to vent to each other about how Walmart was a friendlier place to shop when they were smaller and how we try to avoid the place as much as possible now.  I told her I end up bonding with somebody in line everytime I go to Walmart and that she should check out the videos on YouTube of Walmart rants as there are a ton of them from all over the US.

I let the smoker go ahead of me, of course, and then the checker had a problem with her machine and "the Captain" had to come and do her magic with keys and such.  What made us both even madder was that "the Captain" wouldn't take a minute to sell her a pack of smokes YET....another guy came by (notice I said GUY) and she said:  Come on over here, I'll help you and she opens up a register for him.  Then she closes it again.  The smoker and I looked at each other and just fumed.

The strange thing is....I was in Sequim Walmart last week and the floor clerks were all over themselves being helpful.  I was asked by two different people if I needed assistance finding something and they were ready to take me there.  This will change, though, I'm afraid. Sequim is in the process of building a super Walmart now and once they're done, I suspect all customer service will fly right out the window.

I've made a habit out of trying to find what I need at thrift stores first or Swains.  Safeway and Albertsons aren't my favorite stores in the world either but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Here's a picture of Sammy dozing on the back porch. See how good my grass is coming in.  The second shot is a close-up.  He's such a cutie pie.

Well, I guess I've ranted enough for now. I'm heading back outside to try and transplant some flowers into pots. I'll use my camp stool to sit down. One way or another, I'm going to finish my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment