My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, August 8, 2011

It's happening....

I've been noticing a problem with my memory lately. Seems to go in cycles and it can get scary as I'm all too aware of the problems with dementia and Alzheimers these days.

It doesn't bother me when I go into a room and can't remember what I was after. It doesn't even bother me that I can't get my grandkids' names right.  I get irritated when somebody tells me something and I've forgotten what they said 5 minutes (or less) later.  What gets scary is two things that happened today.

The car was parked in the driveway as I planned to wash it later.  As the kids and I climbed in, Hunter says:
Can I put it in reverse?
Okay.
He does and then I immediately take the gear shift and try to put it in reverse again.  As the car bucks a bit wondering what I'm doing, Hunter reminds me that he already put it in reverse.  But that's nothing compared to our conversation further down the road.

The kids asked me how long they were going to get to stay at Aunt Mary and Uncle Andy's house this weekend?
I said:
Well, Mary is taking Monday off so she's probably bringing you back then.  Oh no, wait a mintue. You have school so she'll have to bring you back on Sunday.

We don't have school.

You don't?  Well nobody told me.  Why don't you have school?

It's summer Gramma.

Oh....yeah.  I guess I'm losing it.

Yeah, you are!  You're really losing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment