My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Quiet Saturday at home

I've pretty much laid low today. Did make a quick Safeway and library run, though. Kind of interesting driving around in the early hours as you have the streets to yourself  and can take time to look at things.  I should have pulled out my camera phone to take a picture of the Safeway aisles I was walking down.  Most were lined with boxes as the floor workers did their shelf-stocking chores.

I found 8 VHS movies at the library to buy. Only 50 cents a piece and most I hadn't seen. I fed the neighbor's cats and then came home to do a few household chores like laundry, new sheets on the bed, and dishes.

My next writing project is still stop and go and start again. I imagine I'll jump from one thing to another before I settle in with the road I want to take.  I started writing about my childhood neighborhoods and that led me to research various topics that popped into my head. Decided I wanted to read up a little bit on Joe Kuhn, the guy my childhood street was named after.

Surfing on the computer can make the day pass quickly as you never know where the next click is going to take you.  I came across some interesting pictures and then realized they were in a Jefferson County Historical Society book I had on my book shelf.  This one, for example, shows Lawrence Street several years ago. I posted one of my pictures below it.

I just love seeing the way places change over the years.
One of my facebook friends (Lois Venarchick) posted a picture her son, Jake, took when he climbed up "The Rock" in Chimacum.  I just loved it!  I can remember going up there in the 60's.
A neighbor lady (2nd house down) is having a garage sale today. I bought a Swiffer mop and a snow shovel for $2.50 each.  Wish I had felt a little better as it would have been a perfect time for me to haul the garage sale stuff in my garage out to the driveway. She's had people stopping all day and I'm sure I could have sold a few items.   Would have saved me the trouble of putting up signs but then I would have had to sit out there all day and I just wasn't up for it. She had a brand new Dell printer her grandson said she'd probably sell cheap. I probably should have bought it as mine is kind of rinky dink at times.  Just couldn't motivate myself, though.    Missed opportunities.She's a widow and said she lost $65,000 on her house. Moved in about the same time I did but her husband died a few months back and she's going to Utah to be nearer her kids.

One of my cousins in Bellingham has a daughter getting married next month. I'd like to attend but it's at Wawawai Park in Colton over in the Pullman area.  Just too far for me to drive.  These are the times I wish I had a boyfriend--One who loved to drive.

Well, guess I'll look over the pantry and see if I can get interested in anything for dinner.  I just don't have much desire to prepare meals these days.  I wish I had a personal chef or even a neighbor who loved to cook and would bring me stuff.

Here's a picture my granddaughter Catie posted on Facebook of her and her dad and half sister, Audrey.

No comments:

Post a Comment