My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, June 18, 2012

The dogs get acquainted

It was kind of a hard day.  My cough continues to wear me down so sleeping at night is minimal.  I've got two more pills to take of that antibiotic I was prescribed.  I can't help but wonder if maybe it didn't help at all.  From past experiences, I always dread getting a sinus infection that turns into a cough as it usually means I'll be hacking for weeks, no matter what steps I take to try and get rid of it.  I wonder if that's an aging thing.  Perhaps it's my 3 decades of smoking.  Perhaps it's just part of the process and I have to learn to deal with it.  I do think, however, that fits of severe coughing are harder on you in your later years.

Always interesting  to see what kinds of things I notice when I'm laid up to the point where basic house chores are left undone.  I notice cobwebs, carpet stains, dust everywhere, walls that need paint, cupboards that need wiping down, drawers that need to be cleaned, furniture that is overdue for cleaning, clothes closets that are overrun with outfits I need to give away...the list is endless.  If I look around this office and the closet where I keep craft supplies, pictures, and any number of odds and ends, I get a feeling of hopelessness that I'll never get it how I want it.  But I know this is just part of being sick.  I recognize it for what it is.  When I'm well, I won't notice (at least not in such detail) of just how much of a pig sty I'm living in.  Ha!

The dogs got acquainted today.  It did help take my mind off my own woes.  Sometimes Sammy would rule the roost and other times, Birdy felt she was the one in charge.  Not too often, though. She's the youngest, I think, and easily spooked if someone tries to bully her.  When Jenni arrived this morning with Sammy, Birdy was beside herself with happiness and greeted her with affection. This didn't sit especially well with Jen as she was in her work clothes and Birdy wanted to jump up and give her a hug.

When Wayne came after work, Birdy was spooked and barked to high heaven.  Maybe it was his blue outfit.  Sammy was all over Wayne looking for the cookies he hides in his pockets, but Birdy jumped up on my lap for protection.  He made friends once Wayne sat down, however, and realized everyone else in the room thought it was fine he was there.

Was odd (and funny) to watch Sammy's personality change once "his dad" arrived.  Sammy always acts like a naughty kid when his mom arrives at daycare to pick him up.  Today, he kept maneuvering himself --I should say his butt...into Maih's face.  If Maih turned away, Sammy would move again and put his butt where she could smell it.  Maih's the female and Sammy's the boy...doesn't he have that backwards?  It cracked us up because he was definitely moving backwards and sideways to get is butt exactly where he wanted it.

Maih is such a sweetie.  The twins are especially taken with her.  I think Birdy is Hunter's favorite overall,though. Here's some pictures we took today. (these are mainly for Joe who I know will sign on to my blog to see how his kids are doing.)  He's in St. Louis this week.



                                  save me Gramma

 Jen & Maddie taking Sammy & Birdy for a walk yesterday
 Birdy watched the door for over an hour after Joe left yesterday
I made a step stool out of cushions so Maih could get up on the hassock and watch the view on the street.

Hunter told me last Friday that they're all done "learning stuff for this year".  The three days this week are devoted to packing up and having parties and preparing to leave elementary school for the last time.  Tomorrow the crossing guards get a pizza party and rootbeer floats.  Time definitely passes quickly.  I remember when they were starting preschool.

Here's Maddie in a shirt she made for the dance skit she was in for a school assembly and a second picture I took the morning of "bad hair day."




I've got a few other pictures to share  but am too tired tonight so I'll end with this one I took Friday when Hunter came over to cut my clover.
I'd like to go to bed but I'm not sure I'm going to even attempt it tonight. I may grab a comforter and just settle into the recliner from the get go.  Trying to lay in bed with even four pillows just wasn't doing the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment