My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Goofing off around town

Yesterday I kept telling myself I had "picked up allergies" while in Port Townsend all weekend.  This morning, however, I'm forced to accept the fact that I'm down with a cold.   I can only pray that it runs its course quickly.

Hopped out of bed at 5:45 a.m. this morning with foot and leg cramps yet again.  Been happening steadily for days.  The one Saturday morning was confined to my foot and toes but was so severe, it kind of put me off for the rest of the day and night while I was supposed to be having a good time at the Elks.  I guess I'm going to have to do stretching exercises more than I have been because my other attempts to nip it in the bud aren't working all that well. (magnesium tablets, a potassium tablet, quinine tonic water, vinegar water, bananas, and extra water)

I realized long ago that I'm no spring chicken and I'm probably going to notice various body parts reminding me of that fact more each year.  Now's when you're tested to see what kind of stuff you're made of and how successful you carry on regardless of how rotten you feel. I don't like these changes but I suppose it's better than the alternative. Although there are days the alternative doesn't look all that bad either!  Attitude is everything when you are dealing with illness and age but I already know they'll never make a movie out of me being strong and fighting the good fight. I'm a weenie and I know it.

Somebody who doesn't go to our alumni activities on a regular basis told me she noticed the majority of the people in attendance were older folks.  Yep!  Pretty much always been that way too. If you live long enough, going to your high school reunion is one of those things you do to prove to yourself that you're still able to get out there.  It becomes just a little harder every year but then everything becomes a little harder every year.  Can you tell I'm under the weather today?

Tomorrow I'll post the pictures I took Saturday morning when Jane Schwencke and I toured "the pink house down on San Juan Avenue."  The new owners are renovating it and I was snapping pictures both inside and out.

Meanwhile, here's a few shots I took while out and about.....

In the parking lot of Claridge Court Apts. behind Safeway Saturday afternoon where residents were treated to a few old cars brought in by Rakers Club members. Other car photos on my alumni blog.

                  Kay Harper visiting with Darlene Lindsey
My sister's grandson, Bradley Forcier, son of Eddie.  What a cutie pie!

 view of the courthouse from the top of 19th Street
 my ex-brother-in-law, Clarence Lammers, who I saw at Hwy 101  Roadhouse on Sunday morning
 view from the porch of the house I was staying at over the weekend. It sits right on the golf course
 another view of the golf course from Redwood Street
 A mother duck with her brood walked by as I watched from the porch
A mother deer and two fawn taken near the Lutheran Church

Early Sunday morning, Mary Gaboury and I drove around town  and  decided to be silly and take advantage of no cars being on Water Street. We walked around the high school campus and drove through Fort Worden too.
here's a shop downtown that used to be Fuzzy Crutcher's Shoe Repair
               At Pt. Hudson beach looking for pretty rocks

 Mary standing in the middle of Lawrence Street uptown
 Mary posing in front of the Uptown Theatre

                                  Mary hitchhiking on Water Street
                                      Me loving the fact I have the street to myself

When we stood on the high school steps, I told Mary I'd dig out  junior high photos and post "before and after" pictures. We're both standing in the spots we were assigned 57 years ago.

Mary in 1955 in Mrs. Baugh's 7th grade class, top right, and me in Mr. Brown's class, 2nd row on left




Well, that's it for now.  More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures! No one would suspect you are feeling under the weather at all - you look great. Beaming and enjoying yourself.

    No one will make a movie about me fighting the good fight either - Whenever the time comes that something wants me gone, it will get no argument from me.

    ReplyDelete