My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Sweet Grandson

I sure am blessed having a grandson like Hunter.  He's so helpful and kind, so smart, thrifty, handy, and patient.  He came over early this morning (Maddie opted to stay home and do housework for her mom--she's a sweetie too!)  Thankfully, Hunter enjoys yard work.  He's good at it too!  I wanted to get the curbside garden area weeded and I "thought" it might take us an hour.  Nope! Three hours and we were both mighty tired afterwards.


He mowed the front and back lawns for me and we went down to Swains to buy some spray weed killer. Well, clover killer, I should say.  Both lawns look dreadful.  One of the pretty sights out front is this blue flowered bush that seems to flourish.  Neighbors on both sides of me have them too and I've seen a large tree of them in a neighbor's yard in the alley.  Not sure what they are but the bees sure are fond of them.

The Swains guy sold me this spray cup to attach to my hose to spray mixture on the lawn after mowing.
I mixed the weed stuff in a bucket with the required water proportion and then  poured some into this cup. You hook it to the hose, turn on the spout, and spray.  What Hunter and I couldn't figure out, however, is how to determine it's time to refill the spray cup with more mixture.  The hose being turned on kept the cup full of water the whole time.  It's a story problem, I think.

Later I found this empty Roundup container with a hose attached in the garage and I think I'll use it tomorrow as I'm not sure what we did today did any good.  Won't be as easy as letting the hose spray it out as I'll have to use the pump but at least I'll know I'm getting some juice out there. Gardening is hard!

Yesterday I pretty much sat around the house cutting out quilt squares, writing, watching tv.  My only exercise was a quick bike ride around the block and a quick walk with Sammy up the alley and back.
Both outings about killed me but I'm going out again tomorrow and see if I can't convince my legs and knees that this is really what I want to do.

I'm on vacation until July 9th as Wayne is taking the week off and will take the kids and Sammy camping for a few days.  I don't have anything in particular planned--just the usual.  Sewing, writing, reading, gardening, biking, crossword puzzles, and maybe....a little cleaning here and there.  I'm overdue for going through the closet and donating clothes to Serenity or Goodwill.  I'm no fashion plate by any stretch of the word but somebody somewhere might find some of it worthwhile.  I refer to my wardrobe as 'outfits for fat chicks.'

Last night was the first night in weeks that I wasn't coughing and spitting throughout the night.  Figured I was finally over the bug but I guess I'm not quite there yet.  After my three hours of gardening, I started coughing again and almost lost my voice.  It returned but I was really hoarse and croaky there for an hour or so.  I've got more weeding that needs doing here and there in the front and back but I'm determined to keep my toiling at 40 or 50 minutes only.  Maybe less.  I sure am thankful for the shower stool I picked up at the thrift store. I couldn't make any progress out there if I couldn't sit down to work.

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY SISTER-IN-LAW, LILL!
Well, I've posted this video more than once but I like it so I'm gonna post it again.  It makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment