My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I remember The Pink House

Last Saturday when I went into PT for the alumni activities, I hooked up with the owners of the house I used to live in from 1975 to 1986. They are renovating the old place right now and hope to move in within a few months. They graciously offered a tour of the house to me and Jane Schwencke, who lived there when she was a kid.  What fun that was!  I think most people would love to take a walk through old haunts of their past.

I'm going to attempt to post a few before and after pictures but I can't guarantee I'll get them in any particular order.  This post is for the new owners to a certain degree but mostly for my kids who consider this house their "growing up home."  My kids were about 11,8,4, and 2 years old.  When I left after 11 years, the oldest was out and about in the world, the second was in college, the third was in high school, and I think Jen was still in junior high.  I was divorced, working at the mill, and preparing to move across town into a rental house on Rose Street.

Through the years, whenever we were in town, we'd sometimes drive by the pink house just to see what changes we could observe from the street.  I've always been fascinated in watching the streets, homes, and businesses of Port Townsend evolve.  Some of it makes me sad, but I must admit, there are plenty of areas that look a whole lot better than they ever did when I was a kid.

The San Juan neighborhood has been a part of my life off and on for thirty years.  I was raised a block or so up the street and ended up back in the same neighborhood as a young mother. My aunt and uncle and grandpa lived near the pink house too.  Here's a photo from (I think) 1937 of my Aunt Lorraine holding her firstborn, Arlie. You can see the San Juan house in the background.  The more I study this picture, the more I think Haines Street is showing down the road a bit. That would have her standing up near grandpa's house near Kuhn. And you can just make out the tower of the courthouse on the right.

More pictures through the years....

view from back porch then
                                                                     same area today
                                view from upstairs bedroom in the 80's

view in 2012

 the back yard in winter in the 70s--garage is still standing on the left
barn housed several goats and chickens and rabbits were in little shed in front

 view of shed, barn,and neighbor's house that sits on 19th Street
 side of house was garden area. Garage was torn down while we were there.


Septic tank being put in by Lindsey in side yard

back of house where we stacked wood.  A job all the kids hated with a passion.

 new door in place in the back now. That room was my bedroom
 view of the "shop" looking out on 20th street
                       the last of the "pink house" showing
 this is facing 19th street. Can't see the houses now.
 the area where the barn and rabbit shed sat is in the back
 neighbor house that sits on 19th next to "Mrs. Woods place"
                       the "shop" from the back
 can't see Mrs. Woods house at all. Barn was torn down as it was encroaching on neighbor's land

moving day for me in 1986. Covered porch connected to "shop"

 back door area. This used to be a larger porch that connected with "the shop"
an old toy they found

This was the barn before it was torn down. It had been fixed up for residency.

 Uncle Jim and Aunt Lillian came for Xmas dinner.You can see the wallpaper in the dining room and the little wood stove in the kitchen.
Aunt Elva Arey and me sitting in the kitchen. Wallpaper can also be seen here. Bathroom door behind us.
 another view of the wallpaper in kitchen with bathroom door in the back. I've still got those canisters on the shelf but as I look over these pictures, I notice I have few of the decorations anymore. Just as well, I suppose. My tastes always were a little wacky.
that old wool blanket was our door from the kitchen to the utility porch to try and keep the room warm. House was always hard to heat in winter. This is my brother, Dana and his wife, Lill.




                      same area. Bathroom door open
the door is being closed up and a new door will open on the left (where the wood stove was) over by the utility porch wall

 coming in the back door thru the utility porch. Kitchen area in back where that door with window can be seen. The middle porch is gone now, though, and the door isn't used.
 standing in utility room facing the kitchen where "the middle door" was
 the utility porch. Left window looks out on backyard
 the kitchen. That blue area on left had a hidden door behind the plywood
Right above and to the left of the thumb was where the secret door was

 Sue and Mary's room upstairs now has a skylight
 The alcove under the stairs. Living room on the right
 double doors leading from my bedroom to the living room
                                 inside the shop. Kids made a camp in rafters above
                                                      the living room
                       my bedroom downstairs. Double doors go to living room
                                      the old buffet in the dining room
 Kids' bedroom upstairs. Window looks out on backyard
                               The living room wood stove
 another view of the shop with old clawfeet tub on right

                                                       20th street in the 1970's

20th street in 2012
                   Dana and Lill posing near the front porch in the 1970's
Jane Schwencke, former resident of house saying goodbye and thank you to the current owner, Carla Patison.  The ole place will look pretty darn nice when it's all done.  Way too much work for me and I wish Carla and her husband the very best.



No comments:

Post a Comment