My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Looking back on old neighborhoods

I must be on the mend because this is the first morning in a while that I felt like getting back to my history project.  I'm writing about the different places I've lived from birth until now. An autobiography, of sorts; only this one will go into more detail than the short sketches I wrote five years ago in 'Alphabet of my Life.'

 One of the places I lived in 1945 was this house on Clay Street below the courthouse.  My Aunt Velna had custody of me for a time and while I'm not using all of these photos in my book, I still thought they were interesting to look at when viewed in a time sequence.


History of Neighborhoods changing........







2024 Clay St house in the 1930's




Clay St house in 2003





Clay St. house hidden in 2012

Notice the rock pile in the first and third pictures.
Many Port Townsend landscapes have changed over the years as more newer homes are built on sites that were previously empty.  Three of my aunts all lived within blocks of one another near the courthouse. Like most houses and neighborhoods everywhere, they've all changed in appearance.

Aunt Elva's house on Lawrence & Walker and how it changed
Probably one of the most remarkable changes is George and Lorraine's house on Franklin. This is how it looked in the 1940's, the 1960's, and later as a new home went up where their garden area used to be and the house was painted blue.





Well, back to work.  I'm so easily distracted once I start messing with pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Cheri Hoglund MittonJune 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM

    Amazing that there's a house where Blankenship's great cherry tree was. We lived kitty-corner to them throughout my childhood. It was a great neighborhood where every parent looked out for every child. We always felt very protected and safe.

    ReplyDelete