My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday is Finally Here

I've got my books packed up in the trunk and my clothes set out to throw in a bag.  Will take the twins to their school talent show at 5:15 or so and then head on out to my weekend parties.  Have been hunting steadily for this laptop bag that Mary gave me a few months ago to use if I ever decided to take my computer with me when leaving the house.  Only problem is, I hid it so well I can't find it anywhere. I'll never understand how that happens.  There are only so many places you can look in a house and garage and I'm sure I've looked in them all.  Obviously not, though, since the bag is still missing.  I even emailed a couple of people to see if I had given them the bag and forgotten about it.  (I hadn't)

Oh well, I guess if I was going to take my laptop, I'd have to be in a place that had wi-fi coverage and I don't think I'll be at a spot that has that.  I'll take a book instead.  Although I didn't sleep that well last night so I assume tonight and Saturday I'll fall asleep quickly.  Then again, my body seems to have a mind of its own and pretty much does what it wants when I lay down at night. It's either insomnia, leg cramps, frequent urination, muscle aches, or lately....tummy flareups.  Ahhh...the joy of aging.

I did get four book orders this week so I hope that's an indication that alumni weekend is going to be the time to sell like crazy.  I'm really getting excited to see everyone now.  I wish I could attend with a slimmer body, no double chin, and better hair but too late....at least I'll be recognized. Ha Ha Ha Ha

The hospital called yesterday and scheduled me for an ultra sound on Monday morning.  Sure will be relieved when a diagnosis is arrived at. I've been told that gall bladder surgery is pretty quick and easy, if that's what I end up needing.  Guess I'll get to work on my book now.  I've got the introduction written, the potential chapter headings, and unless I change my mind, the title I intend to use....27 NEIGHBORHOODS.

I'm excited to get busy on it. Always like to have a project in the works.  Here's the first page.....(until I edit it again, that is)


My first book project was in 2002 when I put together Some of my Family with Some of Their Thoughts and Memories. It was 65 pages with 19 family members answering questions posed to them in emails or in person. Five years later I wrote a memoir called The Alphabet of My Life. It covered topics from A to Z like Aging, Aunts, Bike Riding, Bingo, Schools, Siblings, etc. I included several pictures but the chapters were short and only touched on various subjects. In 2009, I published a book called Walkin' on Water. This book of photographs featured scenes in Port Townsend, and I received an award from the Jefferson County Historical Society for documenting local history.

The following year, I put together a 42-page book (with pictures) covering various events of my life. This book, 88 Memories, was intended as a family history record for my children and grandchildren. Later that year, I published Please Mr. Postman, a collection of letters I'd received over a fifty-six year span from friends, family, teachers, and celebrities.

My 50th high school alumni reunion was held in June of 2011, and I worked for months putting together our reunion book – The Way We Were. I started writing a blog for the Port Townsend Leader in 2009 called Be True To Your School. Readers submitted memories of their school days and in 2012, I edited blog entries into a book called The Schools on the Hill.

As I reviewed a list of all my addresses for the last six decades, I knew the memoir I wanted to write in more detail than my first alphabet book could be based on the 27 streets where I had lived. These addresses included the following:

States

Washington, Oregon, California

Counties

Jefferson, Clallam, Multnomah, San Diego, King, Contra Costa


Towns

Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Port Hadlock, Sequim, San Pablo, San Diego, Richmond, Kirkland, Seattle, Portland


Well, back to work.....  Have a good weekend. I'll be taking pictures like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment