My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, June 4, 2012

TV, Little House, & Maddie's team

I realize our world consists of all age groups and I really need to remember that when I'm dealing with the garbage menus we're offered on television channels these days.  I can ignore the junk that is totally junk from the word go, but it does tick me off that the "regular channels" (especially the news) continue to offer stories on fluff, stupid, boring, and GAG ME!  Even specials I tune in as the subject interests me often turn into one dang commercial after another in between interviews where the host is preoccupied with her own cutesieness.  Is that a word? 

I sure am happy I have Pandora Music Channel via my Roku. It's been my savior day after day.  I'm not entirely sure that Sammy agrees with me, however. I noticed he was going into my back closet to nap instead of the corner of the living room where I set up his bed.  I've since moved his bed to another back bedroom to see if that suits his naptime better.  This is why I probably shouldn't have a dog of my own fulltime. I spend way too much energy trying to figure out what he's thinking.

I spent the weekend indoors. I did get on my bike but my knee ached so much, I decided to cut the exercise short for the day and head back to my sewing machine area where I worked on cutting out quilt squares while listening to an audio book by Ivan Doig.  I also had a few pictures piling up in the 'catch-all' box so I took an hour to sort through my three photo boxes (all catergorized by place, person, or family group, etc).  That was fun, but it was also kind of depressing. So many people I don't see or hear from anymore because they've either moved or died.  That'll be me soon enough.  People will say:  "Oh, I remember Joyce. She spent her final days blogging and complaining about the world around her."  ha ha

A few weeks ago I picked up this book at a second hand store that caught my eye--Laura Ingalls Wilder Country.  A fun read--especially if you're into Little House on the Prairie type tv shows, like I am.  This won't interest everyone but I know my daughter will find it worthy.  Here's some pictures from the book.
 After research, this is the reproduction of how the house actually looked that Charles Ingalls built.
                                                               The inside of the cabin.
                                              This is how Walnut Grove looks today
                                                            The General Store
                                                          Charles and Caroline Ingalls
 Carrie, Mary, and Laura. Mary graduated from the Iowa College for the blind. She never married.
                                                   Almanzo and Laura Wilder
                                        Eliza Jane, Almanzo's sister, was one of the first teachers

I had to laugh at one of the comments on the PA paper's website this morning regarding their story about this old walkway ramp that has been fixed up connecting downtown with streets on the hillside.  One guy wrote:  I think this will have a huge impact on the migratory pattern of the northwest bum.
Now that's funny!

Yesterday I came across a list I had typed up of all the addresses I've had during my life. (32)  I've been trying to write my memoirs (in more detail than my first book 'The Alphabet of my Life') but I just couldn't get into it.  I'll continue to follow Bob Greene's book on  preserving history for your children's children as it offers unique ideas, but I think I'm going to try another avenue too.  This one will start with my first address and I'll tell stories about living at each place. 

Portland alone has six addresses as we moved (or were asked to move) several times in that crazy period of leaving the teenage years and entering our 20's.  My various years in California have seven addresses to discuss, and after that comes Seattle, Kirkland, Port Townsend, Hadlock, Sequim, and Port Angeles.  I intend to insert pictures as I go and I'm really excited about getting started on it.

Wednesday is doctor appt day.  I don't know why I'm always so reluctant to see a doctor when I'm ailing. I certainly don't have any reservations about sharing my woes with anybody I can find to listen.  And heaven knows, I pay enough monthly to visit a doctor.   I suspect part of it is making yourself vulnerable and sometimes having to expose body parts you'd just as soon keep private.  And there's always that anxiety that the doctor is going to find something that needs further testing.  Sigh....  I hated going to the doctor as a kid.  Nothing much has changed.  I'm not afraid of getting a shot anymore; I just don't want to step on the scale, take off my clothes, and be reminded yet again that I'm one of those many Americans in the obese category.

The weekend will be better. I'll reconnect with people I know, take a ton of pictures, and visit the ole hometown.  Am getting a tour of the pink house (Jane Schwencke too) Saturday morning. Am really excited about that!

Boy, the grassy field across the street is sure growing to beat the band. I wonder how long it will take for that scotch broom to work its way out to the curb again.  I found out a few days ago that some neighbors down the street circulated a petitition to have the owner of that lot cut back the scotch broom which was overflowing into the street.  He hired a tractor but didn't take it all out.

And last but not least, here's a picture of granddaughter, Maddie, (4th from left) with her team at a tournament in Lacey this weekend. They came in third.


No comments:

Post a Comment