My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, June 29, 2012

Picture collections

My cough and congestion, which I thought was finally at an end, seems to have returned for an encore.  I noticed it after I toiled outside for three hours yesterday, and then noticed it even more when I fixed myself a HUGE bowl of ice cream last night.  Will I never learn?!  Probably not.  I'm weak and I deserve whatever I get.

Fixed myself a cup of 'smooth move' tea last night 'cause I was feeling so poorly in the lower tract.  Not sure why I'm feeling the need to share this particular ailment but it's what I do.  Not much is private in my life, even when I should make an attempt to keep stuff to myself.  At any rate, that tea is pretty neat stuff for getting the canals running again.  'Course I'm having to stick close to home but that's alright.  I wish I'd known about this tea when my dad was alive and sometimes had constipation problems that plagued him.  He'd be amazed at my nursing ability to bring him back into focus. Ha ha

I soaked beans overnight and threw together a big pot of 15-bean soup today with a hambone in it. Yum!  Probably not the best thing I could eat with distress in the lower tract but I feel like living on the edge.  Beans are good for you anyhow.  And I won't have to cook supper for three nights.

I also had a couple of bananas turning brown so I fixed a banana bread with walnuts.  It's baking in the oven now and the house is starting to smell pretty nice.  I did have to make a couple of quick errands this morning, though. The printer called and said my three books were ready so I picked them up and mailed off one.  I had a couple of orders for 'Walkin' on Water' so I had three books printed in case I get another order.  (Pass the word if you hear of anyone who might want one)

Am still selling 'The Schools on the Hill' too.  I listed it on Ebay last week.  My nephew, Eddie Forcier, stopped in with his son, Bradley, this morning so I had them pose for a picture. They're on their way to Sol Duc to camp.
I was going to work on my family history today but I started looking for a certain picture I wanted and got distracted looking at various collections in the closet.  I finally found it but by then, I had wasted so much time looking at old pictures, I wasn't in the mood to write anymore.  I scanned them in for future use and will post some here today.

This picture is in my' Walkin' on Water' book. I think it was Barb McCleary who sent me a copy with people identified.  If you click to enlarge,you should be able to read some of the names.

This one in front of the Uptown Theatre was also IDd by someone. Not sure who. People I recognize include Arletta & Phyllis Johnson, Penny Short, Ruth Haynes, Mike Copps, Dick Sooy, Ann Hollingsworth, and Bill Houghton (all towards the back)

Denny and me in the kids' parade. 1951 I think.  Jim Wallace is standing beside me. My Aunt Velna made this paper mache alligator.

I've always liked this picture of my Uncle Lyall, and Aunts Velna and Elva.  Not sure where it was taken but by Velna's age, I'm guessing maybe her houseboat on Lake Union.
This is one of my favorite pictures taken in Sequim near Green Acres where I lived.

Another favorite (I think my granddaughter, Catie, took it) on the highway outside of Sequim.

Although this particular picture doesn't do a thing for me, most of my pictures don't.  Ha ha
This one was interesting to me because of the background.  It was taken in 1964 in the kitchen of the Kuhn St. house where I lived with dad and my brothers until John returned from the Navy. I remember that bread box behind the door, school pictures on top of the fridge, coats hung up under the breadbox, that wallpaper and clock and that curtain on the window going to the back porch.  Sure wish I had more pictures of the inside of that house.

This is the one picture I was looking for before I got sidetracked. It shows me and Janie in the backyard of the brown house on 22nd Street.  Probably 1950.  My dad and my Uncle Jim built that swing set and teeter totter.  Again, I sure wish I had pictures of the inside of this house--and the yard. There was a detached garage standing nearby but it has long since disappeared.

I remember taking this picture with an old box camera that my cousin Claude gave me. This is most likely 1954 or 1955.  Dad would have been about 32 years old, working at the mill, and raising four kids alone.  Well, sorta alone.  Grandpa was there and all his siblings contributed to our care as well.  Sure hard to believe that this picture was taken almost 60 years ago!

Well, it's almost time for the news to come on so guess I'll sit down and start cussing at the tv set.










No comments:

Post a Comment