My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Into P.T. and back again

It's only 8:30 a.m. and television has actually been kind of entertaining today. Woke up to America's Funniest Videos and the one showing made me laugh out loud. (It ended up winning the $10,000 prize too)  About a wife locking her husband out of the house and car on various occasions and not letting him back in until he did a dance for her.  It was hilarious.

The Golden Globe nominees were announced and the only movie I've seen is Argo. (which was excellent).  Some years the movies all seem kinda dull but I'm anxious to see all of them this year. I sure wish I could afford HBO and Showtime as they always get nominated for some of their programming and I'm especially anxious to see Homeland.

That shooting at the Clackamas mall was certainly sad.  Especially when the family and friends of the shooter are left dumbfounded about how the shooter completely changed in character and behavior.  You often hear those stories after an incident like that and it makes you wonder....could that happen to someone in our circle? I suppose it could.  I can't remember now but I recently heard of some study that the researchers had conducted on the brain and they discovered a spike in some brain wave or another that showed bizarre and violent behavior occurring in otherwise quiet and subdued individuals.  They thought it was a link to why serial killers come to be or snipers and such.  I think they should spend a whole lot more money on that research.

I've been to that mall before.  Years ago  we drove around and around FOREVER trying to find a parking place.  I'd never seen anything like it. And if you did find one, there were people fighting you RUDELY to ease you out.  Left me very agitated.

Rooftops looked a little frosty this morning as I opened the blinds to the back yard.  Glad I don't have to venture out.  Yesterday was rainy and dark as Mary Norton and I made our way into Port Townsend and back again.  Especially coming home. Eaglemount was foggy and dark and the rain came down in buckets.  I was mighty glad to pull into my garage at the end of the day.  A couple hours later I was sitting down to balance my checkbook and noticed a charge I didn't recognize against my debit card at the local grocery store where I bought gas.  I went down there and the clerk established they'd charged me twice and gave me the cash back on the spot.  Was nice to get it resolved so quickly.

Jenni just emailed me that Hunter and Sammy are coming over this morning to spend the day. Hunter's been out sick all week with a cold and doesn't want to stay home alone today.  Jenni recently interviewed for a new job at her bank and got the happy news that she'd been chosen. Her new title is consumer/commerical loan coordinator.  Way to go Jen!

Went to the doctor yesterday morning before my trip into Sequim to pick up Mary and we're leaning towards the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome being a part of my ongoing problem. Apparently, RLS can have more symptoms than your legs moving at night while you're trying to sleep. (which I haven't noticed is a problem with me) We upped my prescription dose and she is going to refer me to a neurologist in Sequim.  I'd been told I couldn't get in until February but my doctor says they have two neurologists now, instead of just the one, so we're hopeful I won't have to wait that long.

Mary and I had several stops to make in town. First was the nursery on Four Corners Road so she could pick up a gift certificate. Then we proceeded down the road a few blocks to my brother's house so I could drop off a cookie package and a couple of books.  Much to my delight, he leant me Neil Young's book called 'Waging Heavy Peace' and a CD of the concert they attended called 'Crazy Horse.'  I don't like all of Neil's music (the loud R&R stuff) but I LOVE his slower songs and his country music. I think my favorite is 'Long May You Run.'

From there, we headed to Linda Pedersen's house in Hadlock where I unloaded a few more gifts for her and Ruth and picked up a couple.  Looking forward to that jam Ruth made. Her Xmas card was there too with a picture inside of her and her grandkids.  Hard to believe they've gotten that big already but then I look at my twins and my face and I remember that time marches on.  Here's Ruthie..

Our next stop was at my sister's where I was able to unload the bulk of the gifts in my back seat and then load up my car with more from Janie.  She gave Mary one of her homemade bags while we were there too.  Oh, and before I forget.... happy birthday to my niece, Edwina today!

From Janie's we drove to Kris Logue's on Quincy Street and I took a few pictures inside her preschool and out on her back lawn.







With the gift delivering completed, we decided to browse a few shops on Water Street. I had worn my new gray hat (that covered up my stupid bad hair) and that I thought looked quite good on me.  Until I got a look at myself in a mirror, that is.  I also discovered that it was way too hot and cumbersome to wear while browsing in little stores.  I immediately started to hunt for a baseball type hat. It's all about comfort with  me, and trying to look stylish just isn't happening.  I did find just what I wanted -- a red Port Townsend hat. I also found several little odds and ends that interested me. Besides the hat, I bought myself a pair of earrings (with Czech glass), a little book called 'All my friends are dead', a cute necklace showing PT on the map, and a t-shirt.


 



We stopped at Don's Pharmacy for burgers and I got to visit with Barb Shaw a few minutes. She took a picture of Mary and me and Teresa Arey, who stopped by.
From there we went over to Quimper Mercantile to check out the place. Didn't buy anything but did have a nice visit with Ev Muehlethaler and her son, Sam, who we ran into.  Ev is close to retiring and she had "that look of happiness" that I recognized.

Outside Mercantile's door, I took a picture of a bench and a deer made out of driftwood.  They were both pretty interesting.  Also noticed a very large dog being trained to "stay". A newfoundland named Baxter.


 
 
When we got back to Mary's house, she showed me some dish towels her sister had given her. She'd discovered a website where you could send them a photo and they'd put it on a linen towel.  Her sister had some old hand-written cookbooks from their grandmother and she copied some of the recipes for reproduction. Mary intends to frame them. They're absolutely wonderful!
I looked around for PT Xmas cards but never did find any. Sharon Sofie had sent me this one and I just might put it in a frame.

After dropping off Mary, I made a quick Costco run (I still forgot to buy the frozen berries I wanted), and then stopped at Green Acres to take a couple of old neighbors some cookies. Was surprised to see one of the houses across the street from my old mobile gone.

I also noticed that my mobile has deteriorated a bit since I sold it four years ago.  You always notice the neighbors changing when it's an "over 55" park. I saw one house being emptied out by family members while I was there.
That tree on the far right is dead. I planted that one, and I notice the green tree to the right of the window is trying to grow leaves at the bottom of the trunk. Wayne had trimmed them all down for me years ago.  The neighbor directly to the right of this picture had been telling me about this concoction I needed to start taking for pain. She asked me again if I had tried it and when I said no, she gave me a little container to take home and use.  She swears by it. 

You take golden raisins and soak them in gin. Cover them up and let them expand a bit and every morning, eat a small handful.  I did it a couple of hours ago and was surprised how good they tasted. I've also noticed a few trips to the bathroom this morning. Not sure if it's related or not.  These days my bowel system seems to take on a very independent life of their own.  I don't seem to have any power over dictating how they're going to operate on a daily basis. Even when I'm 'really really good' and eat properly and exercise, they can play havoc with my routine.  Yeah, I know...too much information.  Ha!

My daughter, Mary, sent me this picture a few days ago of a house in their neighborhood. I noticed our street had 14 houses lit up with Xmas lights this year.  Sure makes for a colorful trip home to my end of the streeet.

Well, that's it for now.  I've gotta go pick up Hunter and Sammy in a bit. Also have to divide up all the fish and salmon I bought at Costco into small freezer packages.



No comments:

Post a Comment