My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, December 7, 2012

It's Friday and I'm Back

I've had a case of the blues all week.  Woke up this morning and had another talk with myself about how I needed to get on with it and quit wallowing in the "woe is me" slump I've been in.  I just may start taking those antidepressants the doctor prescribed a few weeks ago when I asked for them. Not sure why I've put off taking them but I suppose it could be this attitude I have of thinking I can get a handle on everything myself.

I've been noticing a little upward spike in my anxiety right around 5 pm.  I've had this off and on for years, but it always passes. Last night I happened to come upon a couple of programs on the Canadian station that held my interest all the way through. I will definitely tune them in again next Thursday, and I just might watch the lineups for Canada TV a little closer to see what I've overlooked.

The first show had to do with how the electric lightbulb has changed our world.  I saw this picture on Facebook earlier this week showing the world at night and who is lit up the most.
Anyhow, the program(The Nature of Things) last night dealt with research scientists have done regarding how light has altered our physical life. Without going into all the details of the tests done with mice and humans, they found that our serotonin was out of whack because of our exposure to around the clock light.  Shift workers were especially studied, and they found a link between breast cancer being higher in the parts of the world that had more light at night.  For one thing, they found tumors growing in the mice exposed to 24-hour-a-day light. It also altered their behavior.  If you can Google and find the show to watch on-line, it's well worth it.  Fascinating stuff.

I managed to get my Christmas cards mailed off yesterday and since all my gifts are bought and wrapped, all that's left is the cookie packages.  I was at Walmart (which didn't help my depression any but I won't go into how much they ticked me off) and I saw a lot of things offered that I thought I would try to replace the homemade stuff I usually throw together.  Like Krispie treats. The box had 40 individual treats all made up so we'll see how they go over.  I bought a box of already made cookies with little decorations on them but I'll still make up snickerdoodles, chocolate chips, brownies, and maybe some sugar cookies that I roll out myself.  Depends on how energetic I feel. I hope to make some bread and fudge as well. Will probably work on all that this weekend.

Mary Norton and I plan on heading to Port Townsend Wed. morning so I can deliver a few packages. We'll also browse the shops on Water Street and have lunch.  Hope the weather is halfway decent, but I don't really care.  Think I'm more hopeful my legs and feet don't ruin the outing.  I'm still waiting on  an appointment with a neurologist. For the third time, my referral notes "were lost somewhere." I finally called yesterday wondering why I haven't had a phone call. It's been over a week since the orthopedist suggested I go that route.

Oh dear, the lights just flickered. I hope that doesn't mean I'm gonna' lose power. Guess I'd better hurry up and finish this post.  Here's some pictures of decos around the house and in the back yard.  Repeats, I know, but it's all I got....

The hummingbirds have been quite active all week. Four of them swooping and feeding and playing all day long.  I love watching them.

Well, I was trying to load some house deco pictures and google popped up saying my picture limit was met unless I buy some space.  So.... I just spent a couple of hours deleting one at a time...old pictures that I've posted on past blogs.  Good Lord, I posted a whole lot of junk!  Kind of like today.
Anyhow, I deleted hundreds and am curious if that will free me up to post more.  We'll see...

 Here's my little tree. It comes out of its box each December already decorated.

 My snowman table. I've had that old table since 1967 I think. Bought it an garage sale in Bellingham and I've painted it several times. Use it for my sewing table mostly. If I had the energy, I'd strip the red paint off and get it back to its natural color. I should have left it that way the last time I painted.
And here's some shots I played around with at night trying to see if I could get a picture of the backyard lights.


And that's it for now. I have to pick Hunter up in a half hour as he's babysitting for some neighbors down the street from 5 to 8 pm.  And the neighbor on the other side of me has been coming and going for two days -- with a trailer. I wonder if she's moving in with her boyfriend again.  We aren't that friendly so I can't ask her.  I'll just have to keep an eye out and see if I can figure it out myself.  Ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment