My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 1961

Just dropped the twins off at junior high and made a quick Safeway run.  My groceries cost more than I thought they would.  Spent abut $30 and easily carried my bag out the door.  I looked over my receipt when I got into the car and realized the few things I bought were pricey.  Maple syrup, honey, grape nuts, all bran, and a big bag of frozen berries.  Was surprised how expensive honey was.  I want to make some bran muffins, though, and my recipe calls for it.

I morning-surfed over Facebook to see what was there, and was delighted to see this photograph Mike McAndrew took that Lois Venarchick shared.  I went to his page to see more.  Fabulous stuff of Port Townsend scenes....like this one of San Juan Grocery. Go look at them. They're wonderful!
 
I'm taking the car in for an oil change tomorrow afternoon.  Free where I bought it across town. I've had the car for 11 months and have only put on 4800 miles.  I don't travel much.
 
Looked over this trivia website I refer to sometimes and put in today's date with a 1961 search. Gas was 31 cents a gallon; stamps were 4 cents, and a loaf of bread was 21 cents.
 
I decided to switch back to my Iphone yesterday instead of my flip phone. I prefer talking on it with the speaker and people were having a hard time hearing me because of an echo.  Now I have to relearn how to use it again.  My ring is 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight.'  That was one of the top songs in 1961.
 
Watched Dancing with the Stars last night.  Was pleased that Derek Hough and Kelly Pickler won. They certainly deserved it. I could watch Derek dance all day long and Kelly is quite good as well. My favorite was the one they did Monday night. As soon as it's up on YouTube, I'll post it. Meanwhile, here's another... (you have to FF through two minutes to get to the good stuff.)



Spent most of yesterday working on genealogy again.  I think I'm getting closer to figuring out how I want to put my information together.  The first draft was kind of "all over the place" with census lists but now I'm going to TRY and make individual bios of various people and just write about them in my own words, following what and where the census took them.  Irritates me that I can't get to the 1950, 1960, and 1970 census.  When I get to run the world, I'm changing that system!

I'm lookin' out on blue skies right now. I wonder if that means the lawn will dry out.  I need to get the second half of the backyard cut but.....if I don't, I don't.  There's always another day.  Here's another of Mike McAndrew's photos that fascinated me.  Washington Street view which I know well but barely recognize from this angle. I would LOVE to be able to wander Jefferson County (mainly Port Townsend) and take photos with a really good camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment