My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, May 20, 2013

Yellow Doesn't make me Mellow

It's 9:30 a.m. and I've been up for 3-1/2 hours already.  I've tossed and turned for two nights trying to see if I would sleep better on a firm mattress.  Have decided this old body of mine prefers the memory foam to drift off into dreamland.  Pulled it out of the closet and put it back on the bed. Am already looking forward to bedtime tonight.

Fixed some scrambled eggs, toasted bagel, V8 juice and coffee for breakfast and then sat down to begin my morning office work. Sent off three postcards and two letters, deleted a ton of pictures on Facebook, updated my address list (amazing how quickly they become outdated), and went through Susan's reunion pictures to make a reprint order at Walgreens for her.

Sat here looking out the window at the yellow scotch broom as it continues to grow and grow and grow. I even walked up the street and around the corner to take some shots showing out it's taken over the neighborhood.
 This is from my front window. I got the lawn cut yesterday and it looks sooooo much better.
 See those tire marks on the street? I can't figure out why anybody would go into that little trail area but whoever is doing it, continues.  With my suspicious nature, I sometimes wonder if it isn't a drug deal going down. Perhaps I watch too much tv...or perhaps not.
 This is the short alley/trail. Doesn't go anywhere except the other alley that runs down along all the houses on the street.
 This is M and if I follow it up and around, it takes me over to the fairgrounds, airport, and Jenni's house.  More scotch broom all the way.
 This is M looking in the other direction. I walked down to look in the field beyond and it's full of the yellow stuff too.


This is the view from my back deck across the neighbor's yard.  I'm surrounded by it.

When I noticed caterpillars taking over my two little trees a couple weeks back, I took action right away. They seem to be doing okay. Unfortunately, the neighbor's cherry tree just over my fence didn't fare as well.  They aren't home often and I don't think they were even aware the nests were there.  Here's before and after....


 And here's a picture of a tire on the truck parked next door.  I happened to notice how large it was when I was outside walking up the street.  I'll take a photo of anything for my blog these days. It actually looks much bigger in person.
My pansies on the back deck are looking pretty healthy so I moved one pot to the front porch. Course I'm so paranoid about the deer coming in at night, I have to go out and move them closer to my front door before I go to bed.  Sounds silly, I suppose, but I don't grow pretty flowers that well and if I get any, I'm keeping them as long as I can.

I went on a blind date Saturday night. Yeah, I thought that would raise some interest.  Hang on, though, it was just to meet a new lady friend.  Jenni has a friend whose mom has just moved here from Idaho and they both decided we needed to meet.  It's not easy to meet new people these days. Course it would be easier if I made an attempt to get out and about and get involved in something. Mary Alice is three years younger than me and we have a lot in common.  She's into volunteering now and then so maybe she'll motivate me to get off my butt and do the same.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to occupy myself with more than enough activities around the house. Mary's son-in-law (a computer guy) was able to help me figure out how to number pages when the paper is mirror framed for a book.  I was having a heck of a time with the help columns.  I'm having a lot of fun editing Town Kid and What Do You Say.  It'll keep me busy for weeks.  Still hunting around to try and figure out the best way to get it printed.

I think I'll just order 5 dozen books to start.  So hard to tell if your book will generate enough interest. I'm fairly certain, though, that I could get 60 books sold.  All I want to do is sell enough to get back my printing costs yet still keep the book at a low price.  Since I'm including all the comments people posted online, I'm hoping at least those people might buy a book.

Genealogy searching continues as well.  My cousin, Linda, in KY called the other day and said she was always told her grandpa (her mom's dad) was a professional hockey player.  I couldn't find anything to reflect that in the census rolls but his obit did say he spent ten years in Canada so maybe that's where he played hockey.  I contacted a friend who has an ancestry.com international subscription to see if she could find something for me.  My subscription only covers the U.S.

I let my oldest daughter, Sue, borrow my camera and car for the weekend so she could attend her 30th high school reunion in Port Townsend.  Since she doesn't have a computer, I posted the pictures on my Facebook page.  Here's a few...

 Some of the group on their Sunday picnic at Cape George Community Club
 Sue and Paul and Cindy Brown and her husband
                     My nephew, Eddie Forcier playing at Hilltop Tavern
                          Ken and Helen Brink, teachers, at the Bayview
Mary Gaboury, in town for Rhody, who stopped in to see who she could see

I did a lot of taping of tv shows yesterday.  Billboard Music Awards, Alaska shows, The Waltons.
I stayed up to watch Mad Men but I think that was my last show.  I've noticed the past few episodes have left me cold and last night's show was STUPID!  My list of shows that I'll tune is seems to be growing smaller each season. 

Right now, I really like Call the Midwives and Doc Martin. And if I can find it on YouTube, I'll post the ONE THING that made me laugh out loud yesterday.  Here it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment