My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Time to change the calendar again

Seems like I was just setting up April 1st and here it is May already.  I had kind of a crummy day yesterday so I'm glad April is behind me.  My tooth extraction of last Thursday has been causing me a lot of grief, much to my surprise. I've had teeth pulled in the past and didn't have any recovery issues.  Maybe things don't heal as well when you're older.  At any rate, I went to Safeway and picked up some iboprofen 'cause the Tylenol just wasn't touching it.  I do feel better this morning, with only an occasional dull ache that comes and goes. I can live with that.  I'll get my stitches out tomorrow.

I sure did toss and turn all night.  And so many dreams.  All took place in Port Townsend.  In one of them I was rearranging rooms (it's what I do) and the house was a combo of my San Juan place and my F Street place.  Other people that showed up were my cousin, Linda, various friends and relatives, my kids, and Connie Okert.  Not sure how she got in there but she pointed out a hole in my sweater on the elbow.  Yeah, I'm definitely a busy person in my dreams.  I was at my funeral in one segment. I was either dead or preparing to be dead.  Ev and Patricia came along with Kate (work friends) and others.  No wonder I was tossing and turning.

Probably it's related to the fact that I'm working hours upon hours with genealogy and births and deaths are the mainstay.  Yesterday was also the 4th anniversary of my dad's death and my 11th anniversary of my last day at the mill.

I saw my first goldfinch outside my window yesterday so I ran to Swains and picked up a new birdfeeder.  I have two other finch feeders but they were filthy and I couldn't get the crap at the bottom out.  Decided to toss them in the trash and start over fresh.  Noticed "ready to hang" thistle seed bags so thought I'd try them out.  The package said birds enjoy them as they can grab on easily to feed.  I hope so. They look kinda dorky hanging out there and so far, no one has discovered them.
 
They have found the new feeder I hung in the backyard, though.  Lots of birds showing up this morning....robins, finch, crows, and quail.  Yesterday a quail walked across my porch and looked in my window.
Today is 'late start' at the kids' school so I'll be going over to pick them up in less than an hour. Maddie and Hunter have a track meet in Forks today.  Here's a picture I saw on Facebook of Maddie (on the right) at game practice in the field near my house. She got a little write-up in the paper a few days ago. -- "the game was complimented by good pitching from Maddy Dougherty and Aspen Millett. Boyd & Dougherty both went three for three at the plate."
I was hunting for my grandpa's marriage certificate on ancestry.com yesterday and found it, along with my brother Dana's.  Grandpa got married in Winlock in 1903 and Grandma Mae's sister and her husband were witnesses, (Orin & Mary Skaggs), along with grandpa's brother, James.
 
I've also been working on one of Grandpa's uncles--Charles Perkins Blankenship. He married Rachel Whittington in 1885 and after she died in 1896, he married her sister, Addline. Only waited about six weeks too but then he had five kids at home.
This picture was taken in 1895. Kids include Lewis G in back left, Mary & Ben (twins) in middle and on right; Charles holding Charles Loyd, Beryl standing in front, and Rachel (who died a year after this picture was taken.

And here's a shot of Charles with his third wife, Ida.
A cousin in Bend, OR emailed me yesterday that she has a subscription to newspapers.com and is going to look up obits for me. I'm excited. 

Washer just turned off so I guess I'll tend to the laundry. Might even try to mow the sides of the house this afternoon. Have to wait and see how Mr. Tooth is feeling.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment