My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, May 31, 2013

In 1989.....

Twenty-four years ago, I became a grandmother.  Sue had a C-section in Puyallup and was "under" so I was the first person in our family to lay eyes on that baby girl.  And let me say...it was my first time seeing a C-section up close and it gave me the heebie jeebies.  Ha Ha

I was out in the backyard planting the two packages of flower seeds I bought and as I put 3 or 4 rows in my raised garden bed (sunflowers) I heard and saw the pigeons discussing my work as they watched from a nearby wire.  Now I'm gonna have to keep an eye out to make sure they don't dig in and eat my seeds.  I planted the alyssums in a few pots on the porch so we'll see what develops there.

Noticed traffic in my alley while I was out there so that told me a yard sale had to be in process down the block a ways.  Couldn't let a sale that close go unheeded. I spent $6.

I drove down to the local grocery store to pick up some postcard stamps (and a mega ticket--just because) and now I'm back at the laptop eager to get going on my book editing. I had a real good time with it yesterday and it's neat to see its progression.

And here comes one of my quail buddies. Two of them have taken to coming right up to my sliding glass door to look inside.
 
I'm reading the best book right now!  'See you in a hundred years' by Logan Ward.  A true story of this couple who decided to spend a year as if it was 1900.  Fascinating.  Even the fact that he's aware of the modern day music that keeps playing in his head as he hoes the garden.  No matter how hard he tries, he can't shake the tunes.  It's a real life Little House on the Prairie type story and I find it interesting that I'm even interested.  I couldn't attempt to try my hand at that life now (my body just couldn't take it) and I'm sure if I was younger, I'd have no inclination to want to try and live like that. I lived with a man who had goats for a couple years or so. Lots of goats.  They didn't interest me at all. Funny thing is....now I'm thinking that life might appeal to me.  Odd how life works.
 
I'm all talk, though. The grass always looks greener on the other side.  I don't even have a dog (and I think I'd like one) but I hold off knowing it's probably more responsibility and cost than I want to deal with.
 
It's coming up on noon so I think I'll make myself a sammich.  Bought some deli turkey and ham (and cheese) yesterday so I'm looking forward to something yummy besides peanut butter and jam.  And since it's her birthday, here's a collection of my favorite Catie pictures through the years.
 
                   great grandpa John with great aunt Elva at the county fair





                                           with her dad and half-sister, Audrey
                                               and in later years....
                                                                   Disneyland.....

                                     Catie with half-sisters, Carol and Audrey in Utah today

No comments:

Post a Comment