My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween is finally here!

If I was younger, I know I'd get into the spirit of Halloween more and put some effort into a costume or at least decorations but I've got other fish to fry now that I'm in my late 60's. Besides, who'd see me?  I'd have to take a picture of myself and post it on my blog or Facebook. I'm personally looking forward to some of the movies and programs being on some topic other than vampires and monsters.

I was so tired last night after our all-day venture into Jefferson County that I ended up going to bed at 8:15.  Guess my party days are over if I can't last longer than that!  Before heading to Shari Glessing's party, we hit a few shops in downtown Port Townsend.  I bought a black and white cow for my cow display in the bathroom and a 2012 Gatheringplace calendar depicting PT scenes.  I just love these calendars. I have several of the past calendar paintings on display in this room.  Some of 2012's will go up as well.  My favorites are Feb, Mar, June, Oct. & Dec.

Out in Hadlock, I made a trip to the library to donate my 'Walkin' on Water' book.  I used to spend a lot of time at that library when I lived across the street and it felt strange to walk around and see the changes.  I did apply for a library card while there as they had a book I wanted to read but PA didn't have in their collection. Apparently, you can mail the book back fairly cheap if you're not going to be in the neighborhood when it's due.  I got Homer Tobin's book about his life 'The World was Young and I was too'.

I also stopped in to see Honey von Goerken who used to fill in for me at the mill. She's 80 now and mostly blind but she still gets out and about using Dial-a-ride.  She's been going to a monthly (or is it every Tuesday?) lunch with friends for 20 years.  I happened to ask her how she met some of these ladies and she told me one of them she met in a public restroom. She needed toilet paper and asked the person to hand some under the stall door.  Only Honey would make a friend that way. Ha Ha

I also stopped at a house near Honey's to buy a Rotary raffle ticket. Mary and Jen went in on it with me.  They sell 500 only ($100 a piece) and there are 4 cash prizes, the first one being $10,000.

I took 74 pictures at the party but ended up deleting about 40 of them later. Was trying to get a good Xmas card picture with the grandkids but none turned out that great. I may use one of them, though. Here's some of the pics I took...

Carol Baltes beginning the pumpklin carving activity

 Granddaughter Catie decided on the stencil she wanted to use
 Jenny Erickson works on decorating cookies. (Shari's recipe is to die for)
 Chocolate cupcakes with gummy worms coming out of them.
The treehouse David Glessing built for his 5th grade project several years ago. (He's a senior now)

The drive into town was very pretty with all the trees turning into their autumn colors.  Coming home was rainy and windy, though, and by then we were all worn out and eager to get back to our houses.

Well, I've got to make a quick run into town. Dave Worley picked up the wrong book at our 50th reunion and I need to mail him the correct one. Think I'll stop at Safeway too.  My calendar for the first week of November is blank. Guess I'll do the usual---sewing and computer and reading.

Trivia for today:  the last bunch for now but I think Les sent me something else I can use tomorrow. I'll reread it.

Due to earth's gravity it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000 meters

Mickey Mouse is known as "Topolino" in Italy

Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges because they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down

Everything weighs one percent less at the equator

No comments:

Post a Comment