My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fixing that address

Well, thanks to Kris Logue, I figured out why Allison's blog address wouldn't hook up on my blog. I had it typed wrong.  I put in a @ sign and why I did that, I don't know.  Okay. Yes, I do know. Cause I don't pay attention to details sometimes.  Anyhow, the link below will take you to her blog.  I know you'll enjoy it.
http://allisoninmoz.blogspot.com/


I put another hour and fifteen minutes of toil into preparing my future tulip bed this morning.  It's both annoying and a little unsettling that I can't seem to last longer than an hour at garden work. I get too tired and dare I say it....weak.  I know 68 isn't a spring chicken age but my God, I really don't understand why I can't last longer.  It was all I could do to push the wheelbarrow a block down the alley and dump it in the vacant scotch broom lot.  I came back into the yard and climbed the steps groaning.  So pathetic!

I clawed the lawn sod trying to make the strip a little wider. Once I did that, I sat down on my trusty camp stool to pull out each clump and toss it in the wheelbarrow.  I hadn't gone very far before my new stool seating (that I thought I'd spent way too long sewing) gave out under the weight of my enormous butt!  RIIIPPPPP!  and PLOP!  Down I went.

I was close enough to the ground that it didn't hurt and I was thankful it didn't happen at one of the kids' sports games. I had debated using it yesterday instead of the large canvas chair I took.  Anyhow, I had used heavy cotton duck fabric instead of canvas and either my thread was not heavy enough or my butt was too heavy.  I'm going with the thread theory.

Since I was only half done with the weeding, I retrieved a lawn chair from the garage and used it instead. (getting on my knees is just not an option these days)  It worked okay so I guess I'll toss my little camping stool in the trash.

I've got the VCRs set to tape various movies I've spotted on the line-up for Sunday....Wedding dress, Blood Feud, Flight of the Phoenix, and Mama Mia.  I took a lunch break and tried finishing another crossword puzzle but it was too hard so I set it aside until dinnertime. 

Am working on a small quilt now with a book on tape playing in the background. It's really getting good too.  'New York' by Edward Rutherfurd.

I've been looking over various cartoons and pictures  on Facebook lately and some of them are cracking me up.  Like this one...
And here's photos that my cousin, Marlee Morin in Gig Harbor took on one of her walks.


I sure do love the colors of autumn.

And here's 3 more trivia notes from Les Walden's email:

Albert Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel in 1952, but he declined

Astronauts can't belch--there is no gravity to separate liquid from gas in their stomachs

Ancient Roman, Chinese and German societies often used urine as mouthwash

This morning he sent me an email about interesting history. I've read some of it before but I still think it's worth a second look.  I'll add a little at a time.


They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot

And then, once it was full, it was taken and sold to the tannery...
if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor".
But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot...
They "didn't have a pot to piss in" and were the lowest of the low.

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature
Isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be.
Here are some facts about the 1500's
Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May,
And they still smelled pretty good by June. However, since they were starting to smell,
Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor.
Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water.
The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water,
Then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children..
Last of all the babies.
By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.
Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

No comments:

Post a Comment