My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Weary Wednesday

I don't know why I woke up so very tired this morning but I did.  I've been up for six hours and I'm still dragging.  I did try to take a half hour nap but I wasn't too successful. Funny how you can't nap when you really really need one.  Perhaps I'll try again later this afternoon.

I've been sorting through pictures a bit this morning and found some I may post on Facebook.  Also have been cutting and pasting little email notes I've received from people about their remembrances of when Officer & A Gentleman was filming in PT.  I've got over a dozen replies but I made some phone calls and sent more emails out this morning hoping to hear from additional folks.  It's going to be an interesting blog post, that's for sure.

My sister sent me the Port Angeles paper article on Dave Marriott so I thought I'd post that picture today--along with another of him and Helen taken 8 years ago.


I tuned in to Tim Allen's new show last night (Last Man Standing) but alas....the very first thing I heard was canned laughter.  So......that show won't get my attention again.  Sigh...

I posted a picture on the PT alumni blog this morning. One my sister took of her and Connie Myhre enjoying a sundae at Don's Pharmacy Counter. I had given her the gift certificate in the gift basket I won at the fair.  Boy, they sure look yummy!

Trivia for today:

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times

Gold is the only metal that doesn't rust, even if it's buried in the ground for thousands of years

Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end

In the old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.

Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables And did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers In the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day.
Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while.Hence the rhyme:
"Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old".

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special.When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon."They would cut off a little to share with guests And would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter.Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes,so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status.Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle,and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky.The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days.Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom; "of holding a wake".

Okay. Nap time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment