My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Lookin' Better Today

Well, I slept a tad better last night and that makes all the difference sometimes.  After plugging in the coffee pot, feeding the fish, and starting the dishwasher, I decided to walk over a little earlier than yesterday to retrieve Sammy.  I know dogs have good hearing and I suspect Sammy's are in fine order.  I was at least a quarter of a block away from Jenni's house and I think he heard the tap of my walking stick on the gravel road.

He must have been sitting right by the front door as the closer I got to her sidewalk, the more excited and whimpery he became.  I opened the door and he was one happy puppy dog.  It was all I could do to get the leash on him as he was ready for take off.

My foot problem that started last July is still with me but it's healed enough to allow me a few blocks' walk over to Jenni's and back. It's only 20 minutes round trip (I'm a slow walker) but hopefully, I'll be able to keep it up through winter and beyond.

I pulled out half a dozen healthy cookbooks this morning....Sugar Busters, Cook This Not That, Baking without Fat, The No Willpower Diet Cookbook, The Good Carb Cookbook, and the 8-week Cholesterol Cure Cookbook.  My intention is to study them for new recipes--both for main meals and desserts.  If I'm going to work at losing weight, I've got to find a way to satisfy my sweet tooth. Also the tooth that wants fast food, baked goods, and yummy stuff.

As I pulled them from the shelf, what dropped out but the quilt page I needed for my tulip garden wall hanging quilt pattern.  I'm going to continue working on that this afternoon.

I was looking over some of the news stories and videos on MSN and man oh man, we've sure got a supply of bad people out there.  That dungeon story of scum bags locking up the mentally developed to get their social security checks made me sick.  And there wasn't any shortage of other horror stories as well.  I feel bad for those parents of Baby Lisa.  And no, I really don't think the mom or dad did something to her.  There's enough deranged individuals roaming our country these days to believe someone just plain took her.  I'd be going absolutely nuts if that was my daughter or granddaughter.

Trivia for today: 

Peanut oil is used for cooking in submarines because it doesn't smoke unless it's heated above 450 degreesF

The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

Nine out of every 10 living things lives in the ocean

The banana cannot reproduce itself. It can be propagated only by the hand of man

There's a video on the Leader website (http://www.ptleader.com/) that's called 'Fast Food Zombie." Kinda cute.  I looked over the TV Guide lineup online to see what I wanted to tape or tune in tonight. Will need both VCRs as Sons of Anarchy is on a t 10 along with a show on the Travel Channel at the same time called "Off Limits NY".   This afternoon I'm tuning in to a Canadian cooking show on Channel 2 that looked interesting.  It starts at 3.
 
Here's a cute cartoon I saw on Facebook yesterday....
 
I ordered an autobiography yesterday that comes with a CD. Gail Davies' book: The Last of the Outlaws.  (she's the one I recently posted a video of)

Hmmmm...the sun was shining brightly when I started this but now the cloud cover has moved in, the wind has picked up a tiny bit, and it looks like it wants to rain.  Well, that's fall for 'ya. Off to the kitchen I go to peruse cookbooks and sew tulip patterns.

And a video...

No comments:

Post a Comment