My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, October 13, 2011

New project

Darn!  I just posted this whole thing on the wrong blog and now I have to try to cut and paste it over here.

Every once in a while I'll look through old patterns I've kept that have remained on my list "to do someday." From the 'Quiltmaker' magazine of June '95, this wall hanging has always appealed to me. I don't know if I've kept it since '95 or if I picked the magazine up at a yard sale. At any rate, I think I might run over to Joanne's today (or the quilt store by Walgreen's) and see if I can find the material required. I may even have pieces in my storage bins so I'll check that out first.


If I take my time and follow the directions one step at a time, I'm sure I can make something close to what the picture looks like. I'm terribly slow when it comes to following directions, though. Always have been. I read them over and over often trying to make them harder than they actually are.

Yesterday I wanted a cookie. Nothing unusual about that. I've been wanting cookies my entire life. I knew, however, I needed to eat something healthy so I pulled out my cookbook and found a recipe I didn't remember including in the book when I wrote it. Thankfully, I had all the ingredients and the batch whipped up fast and easy. I baked one sheet of cookies and poured the other half of the batter into a square pan for bar cookies. They taste pretty darn good and they're cholesterol-free. Here's the recipe in case you're interested......

Apple Oatmeal Cookies
Combine the following dry ingredients:
1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Beat two egg whites until foamy. Stir in:

1 Tbl. oil
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring (or vanilla)
1/4 C. nonfat milk

Fold in these ingredients to the flour mixture.

Add:
2 C. rolled oats
1 C. apple (chopped FINE)

Bake on greased sheet for 10-15 minutes at 350. Bars can cook close to a half hour.

I added a half cup of raisins too although I probably should have cut them up a bit. I didn't cut my apple pieces as small as I should have either so they didn't stir in like I wanted but it worked well enough to get a rounded cookie. I decided to store them in the fridge but I'm not sure if I really need to.

I walked over to Jenni's at 9 a.m. to retrieve Sammy and bring him back here for the day. Figured it was a better routine as it made me get out and walk and I got to sleep in. As I started to put my key in the lock, he began barking and carrying on like he was going to rip my leg off. (he does have a very loud and annoying bark for such a little dog)

Anyhow, I was having problems making my key work and started to talk to him that I was working on it as fast as I could. As soon as he realized it was me, his tone changed. Ha Ha Cracked me up. Whimpering and crying and you could tell he was very happy I'd come. Once I got in and put on his leash, we were off like a flash. He probably peed a dozen times marking his territory through the woods.

Sure glad my energy level has risen today. I was pretty much tired all day long yesterday. I worried that I was catching a bug but I guess I've shaken it off. For now anyway.

I've received comments from 17 people about Officer and A Gentleman memories and am hoping to talk to one or two more before I put the piece together. Has been very entertaining

No comments:

Post a Comment