My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Just dingin' around...

As usual, I can always find odd jobs that need doing around here.  And seems everytime I hone it on some particular chore, another pops up as well.  Just little stuff but enough to occupy the day away.  I intended to tidy up the garage (just a tiny bit) and to put my four fans out there that have been stored in the extra bedroom.  Then I decided to bring in the exercise bike in the garage and put it back in my bedroom to see if I would use it more often. (we already know the answer to that, though, don't we?)

I then decided to straighten up a few shelves in the hall closet.  Mainly the various gifts I've been stashing away for birthdays and Christmas.  Then I pulled out a notebook and started inventory on what I had.  I do this every year and every year, I tell myself next year I'm not going to stash presents!  It's no use, though.  I can't help myself.  I'm sure the number is close to, if not over 50!  Just odds and ends I've picked up or things I've made.

Often times I have so much left over, I'm in a quandry of what to give to who.  But it's a fun challenge.  Some things I bought for myself and it just wasn't my cup of tea.  Like this perfectly good video about stretching exercises for seniors.  Who was I kidding?  Anybody want it?  I'll even pay postage to get it out of the house so it's not making me feel guilty everytime I come across it.

I went outside to pick up a couple of things in the grass and next thing I knew, I was pulling out the gardening claw, my sit-down stool, a rake, and a bucket to put weeds in. I worked for about an hour and a half preparing the area along the fence for tulip bulbs. Will probably have to work an hour longer or more just to get the dirt ready.  Look how brown my lawn looks on that side of the yard where I didn't water much this summer.

The other side of the lawn was treated to water a little more frequently. Have discovered, though, that the area I prepared for fresh grass seed was probably a waste of time.  It's coming in and looks okay but the clover next to it looks greener and prettier to me.....plus the clover is growing in my special grass as well. It will probably take over.  I'm kind of learning about horticulture as I go.




Last night I browsed through some of the MANY catalogs that have been showing up in my mailbox lately.  I did what I usually do.  I made a list of what I wanted, waited a day, and browsed again to see if I still wanted it, then checked the shipping charges for how much I was spending--AND THREW THE CATALOG AWAY!  Seems to get me everytime.  I wanted the things but I didn't want to pay THAT MUCH to get it here.  Sigh.....

I couldn't find anything of interest on TV last night so I watched programs I'd taped.  Breaking Bad and this survivor show of people going in the woods and pretending they were cavemen. Tonight there are programs on four or five channels that I want to watch so I've programmed both VCRs and will watch everything else as long as I can stay awake.

Was sure fun seeing Dave Marriott on the news yesterday.  I thought that was him on the airport tarmac so I ran and got a blank tape so I could record the show.  Glad I did too because he even got to give a speech.  Way to go Dave!  He looked pretty good too.

Well, my foot isn't hurting right now and I wonder if it's because I made an effort to place the pad in my shoe very carefully.  I don't want to get my hopes up but too late....I'm hoping I'm seeing the end of this foot problem.  We'll see....  Think I'll treat Sammy to a walk around the block. Been a while.

Oh.... and here's two more trivia facts:

To make half a kilo of honey, bees must collect nectar from over 2 million individual flowers.

Heroin is the brand name of morphine once marketed by "Bayer."




No comments:

Post a Comment