My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dealing with computers

I do love computers but my, they can challenge the left side of your brain.  Or is it the right?  Whatever. I know it's a good thing that I continue to try to win dominance over this invention that came upon the scene when I was in the prime of my life, but there are days it makes me weary.

Once I converted to digital cameras (I was intimidated at first), I was making a nuisance of myself emailing pictures to everyone in my address book. Many folks still had dial-up and they were none too happy with the photos I sent clogging up their ability to get online.  Once I decided to try and share pictures via a blog, it took some doing to learn the mechanics.  Mainly because all the terminology was foreign to me.

Google kept confusing me by wanting email address info and I ended up with three or four addresses in my attempt to satisfy their needs. Now, when I want to log on to this blog or the alumni blog, I have to make sure I'm not signed in on my google mail account. If I am, they don't recognize me and tell me I need to make a new blog.  It's a boring story and I won't go there.  I have the same problem when I log onto YouTube.  I've tried to backtrack and correct or delete certain names but it's no use.  In various places I'm known as cedarrose61, cedarrose59, kuhnkid, pthsreunions, and sumajoje.  Sigh..... it's a good thing this is all written down in  "real paper" notes or I'd never know who I was.

Just went out to get the mail.  Now I have a stomach ache. Damn electric bill! I know I should try to keep the heat off more and just bundle up--but I DON'T WANT TO!   When I'm cold, I'm cranky and my bones ache. I do turn it off when I go to bed or leave the house for a few hours.  I am definitely noticing that my money isn't stretching as well as it used to.  I filled up the gas tank yesterday ($53) and the cable people raised their rates so now that's up to $105. The power bill (which covers sewer, water, garbage, and electricity) was $181.  AARP medical is going up too, I hear, so that will be close to $200 eventually.

I've been making an  attempt to not use my Visa card as I've vowed to pay it off every month when the bill comes.  Thankfully, it was less than $9 when it arrived a few days ago and that made me happy.  I can also rest assured that my rent and phone bill will stay at the same rate. (thanks to Mary)

I splurge on Hit 5 and sometimes Mega tickets as it's my one chance to get rich, but on the whole, I spend frugally, shopping at thrift stores a lot of the time.  I could always do better at the grocery store, of course.  Shopping at large markets is a huge temptation to those of us with a sweet tooth.  Every aisle beckons me--and heaven help me if I shop while hungry.

The postal service seems to get a big chunk of my money these days too.  I like mailing letters, cards, postcards and gifts.  As I look over my numbers for this month, the monthly bills have taken my entire social security check.  All of it!  Which means I'm ever so thankful for my Edward Jones monthly income.  No sense worrying about it.  It is what it is and to be honest, I am very thankful that my life is as worry free and comfortable as it is.  It all comes down to health, in the end anyhow.

Still.....there are days when I wish I could buy a new car or truck, fly to Reno, spend money at the beauty shop, buy nicer clothes, invest in fancy TVs and computer equipment, hire a maid...okay, I'm getting silly now.

Hmmm... a lady just stopped in front of my house and took a picture.  I know she's not taking a picture of my house, though; it just looked like it.  The couple next door (he's coast guard) are getting transferred to Alaska so they're putting the house on the market.  At least I assume that's what's happening. I thought she had said they were going to rent it out to another coast guard couple.  At any rate, I'll have new neighbors later this year, I suppose.

Yesterday I rode my bike about 25 minutes up and down the street.  Boy, was it cold.  I should go out there now but the temp. gauge says 39 and I'm just not up to it.  Have been editing my book most of the morning.  I got to thinking about the title and realized there is another book out there (by Bob Greene) with the title I wanted to use so I'll have to rethink on that one.

Jenni is still on vacation so the kids don't come until Thursday after school.  Sammy will come tomorrow morning, however. Every morning I log on to Facebook hoping to see new pictures. Sometimes the cartoons or pics posted tickle my funny bone. This one was my favorite today....
Dog at Vet
Well, back to work....

No comments:

Post a Comment