My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, February 27, 2012

The Oscars

I enjoyed the Oscars for the most part.  Always gets a little tedious having to sit through the speeches of people we've never heard of while they thank their spouses, children, parents, and the gang back at the office. They should eliminate all that hoo-haw and use the time instead to feature clips of old movies and movie stars. Looking over the gowns is fun but having the interviewer with the microphone continually say: Who are you wearing?  gets stale.  But then, they need their time in the sun too, I guess.

I'm watching a clip on Lisa Hartman, the nun, right now. Would love to see the documentary "God is the bigger Elvis" but it's going to show on HBO and I can't afford HBO.  Maybe I'll rent it later when it shows up on the market.  Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a whole lot of those shorts but I'm not sure where you would go to watch them.  Maybe I'll research that.

I thought Angelina was gorgeous. Brad is gorgeous too but can't he do something with that hair?! I'm happy Meryl won. She's obviously loved by many.  Kind of a shame Viola Davis couldn't win too.  I haven't seen The Artist so I'll reserve judgement on that.  It was probably the deserved winner, though, because some of the nominees it was running against were very ho hum flicks.  I'm anxious to see Iron Lady and Hugo.

Jean dujardin probably deserved best actor too since those running against him were "just okay" in my opinion. Was glad Octavia Spencer won for best supporting actress but I was also pulling for Melissa McCarthy.  The other nominees for that category were also topnotich. Any could have won.

Can't say the same for best supporting actor, though. Nick Nolte looks like he's had a tough life and I was pretty sure he wasn't going to win. Was nice to see Christopher Plummer finally get an Oscar. He deserved one for Sound of Music too.

I loved the Cirque du Soleil presentation but the memorials fell a little flat, I thought. They're usually much more stirring.  Billy Crystal was wonderful, the idiot who spilled urn contents on Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet should be condemned!  Some people are way too eager for attention and need to be reeled in.  Like Jennifer Lopez!  Good grief!  As if she doesn't get enough press already.  Women who bare their bosom in front of millions can be described in four words--I'm stuck on myself!

Always amazes me how they can never find good songs to nominate. Every year they fall flat.  Only win that made me sneer out loud was Woody Allen's win for Best Screenplay. That movie put me to sleep. One of the Oscar websites online today are listing the best and worst dresses. As usual, they're mostly wrong.  Ha Ha  They listed Stacy Kreibler (George's date) as one of the worst while I think she was one of the best.  They also listed Rooney Mara (Girl with the dragon tattoo) as one of the best while I believe she was one of the worst.  And so was her hair!  And believe me....I know bad hair when I see it. Like every morning in the mirror.

You know what else I liked?  Ellen deGeneres' JC Penney commercials.  They cracked me up.  I see Penneys is going for JCP now.  Kind of like Kentucky Fried Chicken turning into KFC.

Well, guess I'll make a quick post office run down to the corner grocery.  Had a light dusting of snow overnight and they're predicting more later on.  I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment