My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, February 6, 2012

Housework chores

There are days when I wonder why I even bother to get out of bed.   I had kind of a bad night. Not sure why. Sometimes I wonder if I have restless leg syndrome. At any rate, I tossed and turned until after 2 a.m. with general body aches and pains.  My left fingers keep going to sleep but this happens every now and again so I'm thinking it's a pinched nerve somewhere.  Never fails to amaze me how many places an aging body can cause you grief.  I figure it's God's plan to help us deal with our eventual demise. If we felt good all the time, nobody would be happy about kicking the bucket.  Some days I kind of look forward to the pain being done and over with.  My, that's a happy Monday morning thought, isn't it? I have a tendency to get like this when I haven't had enough sleep.

I took a hot shower and proceeded to get a little housework done. Figured I'd feel better if I kept moving. Could be a little stomach flu floating around as I'm dealing with a touch of nausea as well.  I swept and vacuumed the house which I sometimes put off indefinitely because my low back hurts.  Once that was completed, I figured I might as well mop the bathrooms and kitchen.

As I emptied the mop water I was glad I had finished the chore. Always validates my effort when I see grayish black water going down the drain.  I had put on rubber gloves to keep my hands clear of the bleach water as I rung out the mop.  Once I finished the mopping, I went into the bedroom to put on cooler clothes. The toil of working had made my black sweats and black t-shirt too warm to wear.

Much to my dismay, I discovered that the mop residue had splattered all over the ankles and bottom of my fairly new black sweats.  I had bought them not too long ago because my other black sweats were too shabby looking.  Oh well, I sighed. This is my life.  As I took off my black t-shirt...one of my newer shirts that I love (has the Blues Brothers on it) I noticed a HUGE area of reddish discolor marks where I had  grabbed my low back every few minutes while mopping because my damn LOW BACK HURT!  Now my favorite black t-shirt can only be worn around the house and while gardening or washing the car.

Yeah, I know. If this is all I have to worry about, I should be thankful.  And I am. It's not like my closet isn't full of black shirts already.

I plan to work on a couple of small quilts today but that's probably about it.  I did finish the border of my 1000-pc jigsaw puzzle during the Superbowl yesterday. It's going to be a fun one. Full of people and items having to do with the fifties.  I kept the game on but I lost interest.  I'd look up at the commericals now and then, though.  I had two favorites--the graduating kid who thought he was getting a yellow sports car but his folks had actually bought him a little fridge and the dog who decided to lose weight and did all the exercises.

I watched parts of The Voice afterwards but there's so much "fluff" I may record it tonight so I can zip through the parts that just take up air.  I also watched Downton Abbey and a couple episodes on Neflix of Damages with Glenn Close.

I've been sending postcards a few times a week to a couple of guys in nursing homes. I had run out of cards, though, and was searching the thrift stores to see if I could recycle some.  I then remembered that I had a box full of postcards I'd been saving for years.  Lots and lots of postcards and dozens were blank on the back.  Perfect!  Now I gotto go buy stamps.  I was tempted to use my state-by-state postcards but couldn't make myself part with them yet. They're in a special book with several old Port Townsend scenes.

That bowling team picture on yesterday's blog was not Eileen Martin, by the way. I wonder if it was Doris Yesberger?  I got a call from an old neighbor in Green Acres yesterday who is helping another neighbor (in her 90's and in a nursing home now) clean out her house for an estate sale. She spotted a framed picture of the Presbyterian Church in PT by Wally Exum and asked me if I wanted it.  I said sure and will pick it up next week when I go by to take another neighbor to lunch for her birthday.

Obits: Louisa Mae Alcott :  She devoted her last years to women's suffrage and died at age 55 from long-term effects of mercury in her system. It was a common treatment then for typhoid fever.

Tennessee Williams: A well known hypochondriac, the often took pills he didn't need. After a night of heavy drinking, he choked on a bottle cap at age 71. He's buried in St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment