My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February blahs

Well, I'm thankful I'm not experiencing a lot of pain.  I don't do pain well. But.....I certainly could feel better than I do this a.m.  Last night while sitting in my recliner, minding my own business as I knitted away while watching PBS, I noticed I kept trying to itch my shin.  Kept feeling like a bug was crawling up my leg.  Nothing there.  This morning it started in again.  Just one spot right below my right knee. It's driving me crazy.  Googling it brought up everything from stress (no, it ain't that!) to psoriasis, diabetes, restless leg syndrome, bed bugs, nerve damage...the list was endless.

I remember being bothered with this before. It never lasted long and I never did know what caused it. One time it was during menopause and everything that could act up on my body did so!  Course the doctor thought I was a dingbat.  You're never really taken seriously when you're a woman, you're getting old, and you're fat.  I suppose it's probably nerve related since I've been dealing with numb fingers off and on for a few weeks now.  And sciatica that flares up, eases, and flares again. 

I've had a few headaches this week as well.  Figured it was sinus related and everyone knows you just have to buck up and deal with it best you can.  My ears are ringing right now too but there's no reason why the tinnitis can't get involved in this game.  And that's what it is, you know.  A game.  Some levels are more tolerable than others.  I'll take the tinnitis over the headache anytime.  And I'll take the damn itchy crawling buggy skin over sciatica too! 

No sense going to the doctor.  Or doctors, as our world has become now.  Unless you have something really horrible that will show up on film or in blood tests (GOD FORBID!) they all pretty much let things run its course or let you research yourself on Google.  I did make an appt yesterday  with a new doctor.   Couldn't get my first two choices recommended by my daughter because THEY AREN'T TAKING NEW PATIENTS!  Not that I was surprised. Pickin's are kinda scarce on the peninsula. I'll go in April and hopefully, find her bedside manner a tad more helpful than the others I've encountered the last two years.  I'm keeping my expectations low and have resigned myself to keep looking until I find that doctor I like.

I'm not expecting Dr. Welby (my age is showing) but for the amount of money taken out of my checking account each month for medical premiums (Medicare and AARP) I do expect a little bit more than what I've been getting so far.  And I'm not even caring if they're not licensed doctors.  The two who wouldn't take patients yesterday don't even have MD after their name.

Well, mail lady just arrived so guess I'll walk outside while the sun is shining and see what garbage she left me.  Let's guess....I say a flyer for coupons and catalogs I'll never order out of.  Be right back....

Okay. I spoke too soon. I got a flyer for coupons, a Current catalog (which I'll at least look thru) and A LETTER.  Yep.  An actual letter.  Should be an interesting one too.  It's from my half sister in prison back east.  Ha!  How many people can brag about that kind of mail!

I discovered something new about my Pandora music channel via my Roku gadget Joe gave me for Christmas.  I had keyed in channels for favorite artists.  My list included Johnny Cash, Randy Travis, Waylon Jennings, Frank Sinatra, Doo wop music, Roger Williams, Percy Faith, Iris Dement, the Eagles, Bob Dylan, and Elvis.  The music that comes over each channel is all artists that sound or play the type of music of the artist you've keyed in.  Not just that one particular singer. What I didn't realize was that I can click on "mix" and all my favorites come up in random order.  What a wonderful atmosphere I can have playing through the house each day via my telelvision.  And no commercials either!

Yesterday I ran outside with my camera to try and get a video of geese flying overhead.  They were honking to beat the band.  I wasn't quick enough, though. They have a "meeting place" here in the neighborhood--a softball field between the airport and fairgrounds. Maybe I'll get a shot of them with my camera one of these days.  Maybe even today. I was meaning to drive up that direction anyhow to see if I could figure out where that elusive gunman was holed up.  The paper said an apartment house on 16th St.  Think I'll go do that now and return to this in a bit.

Back again...Well, that was interesting.  I drove over towards Jenni's house and thought I'd stop in to see how her packing is going for the scrapbook retreat she's going to this weekend.  I suppose I could have gone around the block and come in a different way but I decided to come on home.  The guy they have cornered on 16th street is apparently right in that block.  You wouldn't believe the interest it generated.  One guy had a camera on a tripod (newspaper I suppose) and others were filming with their cell phones. Cop cars, ambulance, lookie loos everywhere.  I was craning my neck too but opted to keep going as I'm sure the video will show up on PDN's website.

Guess I'll get to work on my book now.  I spend my time on the laptop during the morning and at the jigsaw in the afternoon.  What a life!

Today my mother is 86.  I last saw her when she was 77.  The time before that she was 51. The time before that she was 26.  It's doubtful we'll meet again.  Always makes you wonder, though, if you'll live to be about the same age as your folks or go sooner.  Dad was 86 when he died.  I'll be that age in 18 years. Somehow I can't imagine living in 2030--especially when I've done nothing but complain about my body since the 1990's.  Okay.  the 1980's.  Ha Ha

Here's a video by John Prine. I'm surprised it's taken me so long to find his music. I adore him.

No comments:

Post a Comment