My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, January 11, 2013

Insomnia hit again

Woke up around 3 (just to pee!) but alas, an hour and a half later, I got the hint....my body was not going to drop off to dreamland again.  Since I had an extended "to-do" list today, I decided I might as well get up. Doesn't matter...I'm retired and can nap later.

I used the time to write an email and 3 letters. Am mailing off a copy of 'The Schools on the Hill' to Doyle McMinn in Sequim. He's the grandson of a high school teacher I had (Mary McMinn). My Xmas card had come back that I sent her and he told me her stroke has put her in a nursing home and while she can't talk, she's still alert mentally.  Somehow, that doesn't surprise me.

I moved my houseplants (again) and gave them a dose of fertilizer. Put the memory foam back on my bed, unloaded the dishwasher, and set up the humidifier in the kitchen. I'm not sure if it's working so I put a piece of masking tape on the water level to see if it goes down. If it doesn't, I think I'll invest in another brand.

I have noticed an improvement in the heater turning off since I set up a fan near the ceiling. Today, though, I moved the fan just a few inches down from the ceiling to another high cupboard.  And yes, I'm quite aware of the fact that all this blah blah blah is totaling boring.  I'm bored myself.  Ha Ha

I sure am frustrated some days when I'm continually bombarded on TV with "apps" that you can download.  I feel like the world is passing me by.  On the other hand, I don't need a lot of the apps as my life is pretty stationary and unremarkable. Still.....

I'd have to invest in one of those Ipads or something first.  I have a smart phone but it was too frustrating to use the phone so I went back to my ordinary flip cell phone.  I still use the smart phone (without a simcard in it) for taking pictures and going online. It's just that I'm not that good at using all the features it has.  I texted a few people a short sentence the other day and Maddie is still saying
"I can't believe you know how to text."  Hmmmmmm...

I got a flyer in the mail yesterday wanting me to subscribe to this newsletter called 'Bottom Line.'  The subjects covered look really interesting and I was all ready to subscribe until I saw they wanted $39.   One of the 'teasers' was this article: The best way to avoid crippling falls in your golden years."
It said: You have to exercise your balance. Simply stand on one leg and move the other, bent at the knee, through space. Do this several times a day (like when you brush your teeth or do dishes) Once you get good at it, try standing on one leg with your eyes closed. At first you'll only be able to do it for a few seconds but with practice, you can work yourself up to 28 seconds.

Well, time to jump in the shower and see if I can't do something with what little hair I have on top of my head. Got some pants to hem, some birds to feed, and my memoirs to work on. Finally...I figured out how I want to write this thing. I'm using diary notes and Town Kid blogs inserted here and there as I work myself through. Much more fun now that I've figured out which road to walk down.

Here's a couple pictures I took yesterday after throwing out stale bread for the birds. The crows descended for a round-table discussion but were sent to the sidelines by a seagull who was bigger and got first choice.  Ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment