My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Here We Go - 2013 Begins

The first day of a new year invariably causes me to reflect on the past year a bit and wonder what lies ahead.  Will it be a good year?  Will a family member or friend die? Will I kick the bucket?  Yeah, probably not the best way to start a new year having thoughts like that but unfortunately, I think about stuff along those lines frequently as my age creeps up, and I notice body parts that I never particularly noticed before are now causing me concern and grief. Obituaries are followed closely to see if anyone my age has died or worse, anyone younger.

My youngest daughter turns 40 this month.  All my kids are in their 40's now. I still can't understand that. I was just in my 40's myself not that long ago. Or perhaps it was a while back. I looked over some of my diary notes for the month I turned 40. A rocky period of my life. I'd been divorced about a year.

9-4 Sue caught a bus for Sacramento
9-17 I bought a ’73 Datsun from Phyllis Johnson
9-21 Sue called me from Rose’s house in Portland. She said they were going to Issaquah to look for work.
9-22 I turned 40 and daughter Mary threw a surprise party for me. Mary Norton, Mary Gaboury, Cathi White, Mary Corbett, Marguerite, Linda Pedersen, Ruth, Janine, Janie, Kate Spear, Patricia, Mary Kay, Ann Plastow were there. I shared my story of having a panic attack.
9-27 Mary put a dent in my car.
 
My New Year Resolutions?  Well, the usual...lose weight, read more, worry less, accept the aches and pains and not complain about it (we all know that ain't happening!), learn to play the guitar, ride my bike more, smile more, make at least one new friend, start my book, find a boyfriend and get married.  (Those last two are jokes, by the way)  Unless you know someone.
 
Bob Dylan is rocking out next to me right now.  I sure do love my little red speaker that attaches to my Ipod Touch.  I've got 335 songs on my Ipod but I'm betting I can download more from my computer. Only problem is, I keep losing the music file on my computer and never know where to look. I'll have to put that on my list for Mary or Catie to fix next time they're at my house.  Which will probably be months from now. Renton is way too far away for frequent visits. I'm kicking myself that I didn't remember about it when I was there last week.
I just recorded my Jan. 1st for 2013 in this file I've been keeping since 1970. My activities for last year at this time were similar. Think I'll go back and look at the 70's again and see if there's anything interesting.  Hmmmm...most of it looks dreary... Missed 1975 and 1976. Darn it anyway!
1970
Jan. 1: I got up at 9:30, and my hangover wasn’t too bad.  Party we threw was sure awful, though. I don’t think anyone had a good time…including me. I spent the whole day just loafing. Read a little. Rosemary came by with Donny to get her record player. I didn’t do my exercises today.   Dad called to wish us a happy new year.
1972
Jan. 1: Shirley and Don had a party last night. John got drunk and we were both tired all day long.
1973
Jan. 1: Had Janie and Bill for a big dinner. We played Password afterwards. Poor John is really worried about getting laid off and how the bills are going to be paid.
1974
Jan 1: Rearranged the house today. Janie watched Joe and Jenni for us while me and John moved our bedroom upstairs.
1977
Jan 1: Decided it was about time I did something about my weight. Am starting a diet. We didn’t go out last night. Watched ‘It’s a mad world’ on TV. Mary spent the night with Janie. Going to take down the tree. Mr. Gizinski and Sid Klenk came over to get some manure. Judy Angvick called a couple of times.
1978
Jan 1: Went to a party at Mary Gaboury’s last night.
1979
Jan 3: John’s been out of work since Dec. 12.
 Yesterday I got two letters from my cousin, Cindy, that our other cousin in Bellingham had sent her. She made copies for me 'cause she knows I love stuff like this. They're letters her dad (Bob Walker) wrote to his mother in 1939 and 1940 when he was 12. They're treasures. I'd love to have something my dad wrote when he was 12.

My day lays ahead with an open slate. I need to tune my guitar, pull out my lesson books, and look over the gift Jenni gave me that will help me learn to play chords.


I also plan to start my jigsaw puzzle that Mary and Andy gave me of the cover of my book, The Schools on the Hill.  I need to write up some notes about my cousin, Claude, for his daughter who is making a book for her grandson, and I have at least two letters to write.  Oh, and my floor exercises. Can't forget those.  It's not raining and I'm tempted to get on my bike for a few minutes and maybe pedal up and down in front of the house. Am a little nervous about it, however. I haven't been riding for weeks and I know it's going to hurt.  I'll think about it.

I made up some fresh sugar water for the hummingbirds outside my window. There's at least four who flutter around on a daily basis.
 
 And here's the elephant wall hanging I love. I hung it here in this room since this seems to be where I spend most of my time. Isn't it cool?  Thank you Jenni!
 
 I watched a really good movie on Netflix last night. "Hello Lonesome."  And that about does it for this New Years Day.  Have a good week!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment