My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday around the house

I wish I could think of clever titles for each days' blog post but I sit here with a blank mind and can't get jump started until I type something...anything....
It's 8:24 a.m. as I sit here half listening to Matt Lauer on the Today Show.  I had GMA at first but the minute they give that stupid Nancy Grace air time, I have to switch the channel. She makes me ill.

I see American Idol is getting ready to start up again.  I'll probably pass on watching it this year although I might tune in now and again once they get past that boring try-outs stage of the game.  I think Idol is more of a young peoples' show anyhow. None of the judges interest me. Niki Minage or whatever her name is I find especially annoying.  Keith Urban is another. I never understand why he's continually nominated for songs (I don't think I've yet to see him get one). I suspect he's put up there for the pretty factor...and because of who he married.

Last night I hopped back and forth between Emily Owens (Meryl Streep's daughter) and Cracked, a Canadian cop show.   I was looking forward to PBS Pioneer show on female comedians but it was disappointing. They basically just showcased Lucille Ball, Carol Burnett, Betty White, and Mary Tyler Moore.  I was hoping for more variety.  They usually do a better presentation than that. I overlooked a whole lot of women I remember from the old days.

Yvonne showed up at my door around noon needing a place to hang while a realtor showed her house. We went to Taco Time and later she called to tell me the woman seemed especially interested. I hope it happens for her. She's going through enough stress as it is right now dealing with cancer.

Gees.... there's a story on Today now about trying to avoid catching the flu by watching what you touch.
Door knobs, soap dispensers, ketchup and mustard bottles, menus, shopping carts, hand rails, magazines at the doctor's office, the list is endless.

I got some fabulous pictures in an email yesterday from a friend of mine in Portland. Hopefully, I can remember to post a couple everyday.  Here's the first...

Last four couples standing in a Chicago dance marathon. ca. 1930. (the women appear to have had more stamina than the men)

And speaking of stamina....am I the only one who is completely bored to tears hearing about Lance Armstrong taking drugs?!  The media acts like this is some new revelation being given to us. Phooey! I think we all knew long ago that drugs played a factor. So what if he lied about it? The world is full of liars.  They always seem to get the spotlight, though.  Day after day we're bombarded with them sitting there lying to our faces and we all know they're lying.  Move on media!  (Sadly, it won't happen. We're gonna hear about Lance for the rest of our natural lives)

And I will never understand the mentality of those people screaming about their rights to bear arms.  A hunting rifle is one thing. Even a handgun for protection.  But nobody needs an arsenal. Nobody needs assault rifles.  This country is full of idiots. 20 babies shot dead in cold blood and they're going out to buy more guns.  You can't reason with people like that. They're already in cuckoo land. Obama's on screen now. Had to bring in school kids to the stage hoping to make a point.  What a shame that he has to walk down that lane.  And what a shame he even has to make a speech in the first place about keeping our kids safe. He doesn't need to convince those of us who know that and he's never going to convince those stupid asses who think we need more guns. What a crazy world we live in. And I'm not convinced having mental background checks is going to help all that much. You're still going to have those nut cases who break in and steal guns from their relatives.  Okay. Enough on that subject.

Well, gotta get up and moving.  Not that I have any chores that actually need doing. I did get all the floors done yesterday.  Interesting story in the P.A. paper this morning about the Lincoln School and how they want to use it for public use.  About time somebody got off their butt and did something with that great structure. What a waste letting it sit there.  I did find it ironic, however, that it was deemed unsafe for school kids but okay for adults to meet there.  Sounds to me like some committee way back when wanted a new school built.  I still think they could have saved that building for classrooms--especially since the schools they've built since then are already not being used.

Friday I drive Hunter to the Kingston ferry so Mary can pick him up for a three-day vacation at their house.  He missed out over Christmas because he was sick. Mary was nice enough to suggest I go to Kingston instead of Bainbridge. She knows I hate the drive way over there although I know it would be easier on her to just go to downtown Seattle.  Thank you Mary.

Happy Birthday to Carol Van Mitton!

Here's picture #2.......
Three Princeton students pose after the Freshman, Sophomore snowball fight. 1893. Princeton, NJ.


No comments:

Post a Comment