My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, January 4, 2013

January morning

49 years ago on this date I was putting on a pure white wedding gown (to indicate my virginity) and preparing for my one and only walk down the aisle.  Next January I'll have to throw myself a party.

I like having calendars in at least three rooms of my house.  I've always been a calendar watcher, and since I've retired, I've had a harder time, than usual, keeping track of whether it's Monday or Wednesday. Sometimes I have to go to my computer screen and look at the date down there below the clock.  It's kinda sad, I guess, but when your activities calendar is empty except for a doctor appt. now and then, it's easy to lose track of what day it is.

I do have a doctor appt today at 1. Might be taking Wayne to his doctor appt as well. Jenni says his flu has gotten worse and she wants him looked at. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get the flu this year. I've gotten real pathetic in my golden years as far as sickness goes. I have a tendency to think "Oh no!  This is it!  I'm a goner for sure this time!"  Even when I know I'm doing it, I can't seem to nip it in the bud.   My doctor told me at my last visit that she thought I was overly worried about dying.  I told her "Yeah, and that doesn't make any sense because I believe in reincarnation. I shouldn't be caring if I'm on deaths bed, 'cause I'm comin' back." (She told me she enjoys our visits) ha ha

January 1st I rode my bike for a few minutes up and down the street. January 2nd I didn't. January 3rd I did my floor exercises.  They're simple, fast, and easy --except for the part where I have to get down on the floor and then get up again. Whoever thought that simple movement would become an issue in my life.

I spent the better part of the afternoon working a jigsaw puzzle. It was an aerial picture of PT schools in the 50's. (the cover of my last book)  I had sooooo much fun working on this puzzle!  It wasn't that large but finishing it was dang hard as all the pieces would kind of fit in more than one spot.  The picture itself was black and white. I especially loved doing my old neighborhood. As it turned out, I just couldn't complete the final pieces. I kept having houses in the wrong spot. I finally called Hunter and asked him to come over today and fix it for me. I plan to frame it for the wall.

I was going to post a picture here but blogger is acting up again and won't let me.  That means I have to pull out my notes and find an alternate way around them.  I'm overdue for using that option anyhow.  Sometimes I get so confused with various sign-ons and passwords, I don't know where I am.  I have a certain email address sign-on for this blog and a different one for hotmail and yahoo. Somehow or another, I managed to make two gmail accounts and that really has me fouled up. Passwords won't work and now I think I've managed to screw up my Ipod camera settings that Mary set for me over Christmas.

My Itunes is also "lost" somewhere.  I can eventually find it but I'm never sure if I've found the whole song collection or part of it.  Maybe I'll make that one of my new projects for the year.....getting all my computer accounts straightened up so  I know where everything is.  Just the thought of it kind of scares me, though. Half the time I don't understand the directions I'm being told.  When I try to assert myself and not be intimidated, I more often than not screw things up to the point where I have to call in for assistance from Mary or Catie.

I really need a computer savvy pal who lives in the neighborhood and wouldn't mind being used for his/her know-how skills. Those are hard to find.  Sigh....

I got a death certificate in an email a few days ago from a cousin I found via Facebook.  Her line is my grandpa's sister, Mattie.  The death certificate showed details that didn't jive with stuff I had in my notes so now I'm thinking either my notes were incorrect or the d.c. was.  I suppose I'd best go with the death certificate. I had her year of birth at 1872 and the death certificate said 1873. Her name was listed as Mattie M. Steele but my notes showed her name was actually Martha M.  You find a lot of stuff like that in census records too -- which makes digging for the details all the more fun.

Well, time to get the dishes washed that I let sit last night so I could go to my recliner with my crochet hook and watch a little television. I didn't find much of interest so I streamed in a Netflix movie. It was called 'Ride the Divide'. About a bunch of bicycle riders who wanted to race from Canada to Mexico over the Rocky mountains.  Most ended up quitting but it was a good movie that held my interest. More of a documentary type but I liked to imagine myself as one of the riders who could make it.  Which is totally crazy.
 Here's a video I saw on TV this morning that made me laugh....




Later....
Just discovered Blogger will let me d/l my pictures if I sign on with google chrome instead of windows. That's annoying.  I guess I'll have to try and figure out how chrome works.  Here's my puzzle...I did get it figured out myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment