My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Daddy's Birthday

I'll always think of my father on January 3. If he was alive today, he'd be 90. And so would my Uncle Jim.

I went up to the library yesterday afternoon to look over the microfiche film of old Leader newspapers.  Even though they have a newer set-up now, it's still a strain on the eyes and I never did get a good feel for the hang of operating the various settings.  I was able to find the 1940 article I was looking for,though. I intend to write a Town Kid piece about it and will share my cousin's three letters that he wrote his mom when he was 11.

My son-in-law, Wayne, is sick with the flu and I think my body has been trying to decide if she wants to be sick as well. I've had a sinus headache for over a week that comes and goes and yesterday when I was trying to take a nap in my recliner, I had the chills so bad (even with a blanket) that I finally had to give it up and go about my chores.  Perhaps, it's just plain ole cold weather and these old bones don't do as well in colder temps as they used to.  Could be why some of my friends go south in the winter.

It's 6 a.m. and I've been up for an hour.  And that annoys me!  I don't seem to have any control over my body clock.  She gets on her own little schedule from time to time and I have to go with the flow. I went to bed at 9 last night and was really tired. I read for a few minutes and was out like a light. Probably because my morning nap in the recliner was so unsuccessful. I guess I'm going to have to find a warmer blanket if I wanna' snooze during the day. At least during these cold months.

I got into it with the electric company yesterday and after thinking over our very irritating phone conversation, I've decided to go down there in person today.  Something just doesn't add up to me. Last January a utilities guy came here with a big box of light bulbs and inspected the house for heating conservation.  Most everything was fine since the house is fairly new. You have to install the new kind of bulbs and be inspected to get the senior low income discount on your electric bill.  I've gotten it for years.

Anyhow, I get a letter in the mail that says I'm being denied for 2013 but can apply again next year. When I call to see why I'm denied, they tell me I ignored a letter they sent, that they couldn't reach me by phone, and that I ignored a notice on my doorknob.  All news to me.  Especially since I'm very OCD about jumping through the hoops you have to and I got my application form in to their office right on schedule.  I tried telling the guy (after I was transferred a couple of times) that I didn't receive any of the notices that the said I ignored.  His answer was basically "too bad; apply next year."  He also was quick to tell me to go to community action.

Which I have an appt for next month but I still intend to get to the bottom of this electric company blowoff business.  Especially now when medical insurance, cable, gas, and food costs continue to rise and my income stays the same.  I know. Join the crowd.

Well, since I have an extra long morning to amuse myself today, I guess I'll get going on that Town Kid blog.  By the way, my Town Kid blog after the one I'm doing now will be about memories people have of their first car or a favorite car they owned. I've got about 7 stories from people so far and would love to get more. Email me at cedarrose61 at hotmail dot com if something comes to mind.

John and Jim as teenagers......

No comments:

Post a Comment