My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, February 4, 2013

Taylor Street thru the years

The morning sure passes quickly when you sleep till 8 a.m. Not that I'm complaining. I have to let my body clock pretty much run on her own timetable these days.  Some mornings I'm awake at 5 or 6 and can't go back to sleep.  Right now I'm in the cycle  where she's letting me stay up until almost midnight to watch tv or read. I'll take what I can get.

I suspect I've got a case of winter allergies. I just put eyedrops in (always a difficult task and I suspect I'll never get really good at it), squirted up my nose with nasal spray, and downed a tiny allergy pill. Also need to grease myself up as my skin feels itchy.  Always curious how I'll get an itch (like on my arm today) and there's absolutely nothing there but it continues to drive me crazy.  I'm blaming it on winter 'cause I don't know how else to explain it.

Maybe I should get a dog. If I had a pet to tend to, I might be less inclined to focus on my own body woes. Or not.  It's become a way of life with me to try and figure out why various body parts are acting as they do.  I always want a dog when I see other people with them but then I remember I have to clean up after them, buy dog food (and toys), take them out for exercise, make places on my budget for vet bills, and worry about them when I leave the house.  I go back and forth.  I suppose if I REALLY wanted a dog full time, I would have one by now.  Grass always looks greener over the septic tank, so to speak.

I enjoyed most of the Superbowl yesterday. Paul Harvey talkin' about farmers on the Dodge Ram commercial was my favorite. Loved the Taco Bell seniors too. I thought the halftime entertainment was (as usual) aimed at the younger generation so I switched over to Music Man playing on Turner Classic channel.   Pick-a-little-talk, pick, pick, pick....love that song!

The last half of the game was exciting and I was pulling for San Francisco.  I've always liked the 49ers for some reason.  Later on that night I watched Downton Abbey and two more episodes of Homeland.  As usual, it didn't disappoint (although I am getting tired of watching Claire Danes push her hair back over her ears two dozen times an episode.)

I didn't snack on anything but I did make up a half batch of oatmeal cookies. Added chopped almonds, raisins, mini choc. chips, and cranberries along with the oatmeal.  Really tasty too! I took some to Yvonne and Jenni so I wouldn't eat the whole bunch myself.  Couldn't get through to Yvonne's house at first so I stopped on the return trip. The street was block by a mobile home being set on the property across the street from her. I took a picture this morning.  In fact, I took a bunch of pictures while I was out and about on my errand..........
 this is the other end of my street. Yvonne's house is the last on the right. The new mobile stilll has to be placed on the cement slab.
 this is where I shop most of the time. It's about 3 miles from my house in the middle of downtown
 This is the old courthouse as seen from Safeway's parking lot. I think it's a museum now.
 Here's a guy feeding the seagulls that I noticed as I was leaving Safeway parking lot. The gulls were circling and squawking.
 This is the corner grocery where I stop for postage and lotto tickets on the corner of 8th & C. It's a busy place as they sell gas and hot food too.
 Here's my street as I return home. I'm clear at the end (almost)
 My house sits between the blue car and the white truck. The houses are built one-story, two-story,one-story etc.
 I had a lot of quail feeding in the back yard as I sat at the computer researching family roots.
 I moved one of my hummingbird feeders to the backyard since I'm seldom sitting in the computer room looking out on the front anymore. Luckily, they found the feeder right away.
This is a picture I saw on Facebook that Marcus Butler took of Taylor Street downtown PT.  I think it is one of the best photos I've ever seen of this area.  I'll have to look around and see if I can't find some old black and whites taken decades ago.      Okay...I found three.  The first is from 1920, the second from 1932, and the third..not sure maybe 40's?

 


 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment